102 | torn

To say that Nevaeh's father is shocked would be the understatement of the century

To say that Nevaeh's father is shocked would be the understatement of the century. I never saw a person so consumed in disbelief before. He looks like someone just put a bullet in his head.

To my surprise, he suddenly laughs. Boisterously. His loud laughter echoes in the room while the rest of us just stare at him, frozen on the spot.

Once he finishes laughing, he sighs. He rakes his fingers through his fair. "God, this must be a prank for my birthday, right?"

I look at Nevaeh, who's biting her bottom lip so hard I'm afraid that it's going to bleed. That fierce look is still plastered on her face, but her eyes can't lie. They start to brim with tears. She can't hide her worry. She's goddamm scared that we will part ways because of her family.

I want to hold her and assure her that everything will be okay, but I have to fix this situation with her father first.

Mr. Spencer seems to notice the distraught look on her daughter's face. He goes rigid.

Someone chuckles. It's Max. "What the heck was she talking about?" he asks Luna, shaking his head in disbelief like this is some kind of a joke.

Luna pales, balling her fists on her lap as she sits still beside him on the couch. She's afraid to look at him. But then, she does, and when it happens, Max can see the truth and guilt skating all over her face.

"Wait." He winces, taken aback. "Is it true?"

Luna tries to lean closer to Max, but she stops because of the look on his face. His mouth hangs open. He's staring at her like she just hit him.

"Max." Luna's lips tremble.

Max snaps his head toward Nevaeh and then back toward Luna. Everybody knows how much Max cares about Nevaeh like his own little sister.

"You knew about this?" Max's voice is filled with anger. He scrutinizes Luna, and my sister almost cries because the hurt look in his eyes shows her how much he feels betrayed.

One would think that after everything they'd gone through, she would have never hidden things from him ever again. I understand that Max expected no more secrets between them, especially if it was happening to a person he wanted to protect.

My sister broke her promise to be always honest with Max, and she did it for me.

What was I supposed to do? Nevaeh kept telling me that she didn't want her family to know about us.

Max's jaw tightens. He stands up from the couch and leaves with his fists clenched on his sides like he's trying so hard to control his emotions.

"Max." Luna immediately stands up too. "Max." Her voice is shaking as she calls him louder. She rushes to follow him.

I curse silently. Fuck. I just made them fight.

No matter how much I hate letting go of my sister to some guy, I know that Max is not just some guy. I fucking hate to see him go -- and yes, he doesn't have to know that.