100 | paintings of you

AN:
Hi y'all :) This chapter is the longest one I've ever written for this story, but it can't be split so here you go.

***

I can't believe what I'm seeing right now

I can't believe what I'm seeing right now. There before me stands the man I've longed to see. Aiden is there, right in front of my eyes.

Am I dreaming? Is this real?

Aiden steps closer to me, and my gaze lands all over him. As usual, he looks dashing in his smart casual look, wearing a black shirt with the first two buttons left undone -- showcasing just the right amount of skin on his toned chest. The sleeves are rolled up, exposing his forearms. He's wearing slacks in the same color.

There's a small smile on his face, which makes me think that this is indeed a dream. It's impossible.

The last time I saw him, he barely acknowledged my existence. The look he threw me was so cold it pierced my heart. No, he didn't even want to look at me, didn't even want to turn his head in my direction.

So why is he now looking at me with a longing so deep like I'm his everything?

The longer I stare at him, the more it seems like this isn't real.

I missed him. I missed him so much that I can't help the tears welling in my eyes at the sight of him.

But then, the pain striking my heart reminds me of how he broke my heart, so I abruptly turn around and walk in the opposite direction.

I only manage a few steps before the lights suddenly brighten the room. My eyes travel around the entire white walls surrounding the space.

I was wrong. This place wasn't entirely empty.

I see paintings hung on the wall across me, but each of them is hidden under a white cloak so it was hard to spot them on the wall earlier in the dark.

"Nevaeh," Aiden's voice echoes, and my heart almost stops.

I hadn't heard his voice for so long. The way he said my name makes me want to cry because he called me in a way he always did before that day when everything shattered.

Like he needs me.

I can't move. A part of me is still trying to comprehend what's happening while another part doesn't want to answer him. I'm afraid that my heart will break into pieces again if I talk to him. Why did he even come here to see me?

Now I know that Maya and Ash were lying. It was all his plan that I came here.

"Nevaeh," Aiden calls me again, and this time, his voice is shaking, so vulnerable. It holds so much sadness.

I can't breathe, and my eyes water even more. Why is he calling me like that? Why is it so different than the last time he spoke to me? Why is all that coldness gone?