106 | the taste of happiness

I sit on the bench at the patio, facing the backyard as I wait for Aiden and Dad from their morning walk

I sit on the bench at the patio, facing the backyard as I wait for Aiden and Dad from their morning walk. I sip the tea in my hand, wondering about how my future will unfold after everything that happened.

So many things are going on inside my head, and while I'm pondering in thought, Aiden walks toward me. He takes a seat beside me.

"How was the walk with my dad?" I ask.

Aiden sighs, and to my surprise, a smile touches his lips. "Pretty good."

His answer makes me raise my eyebrows in question. But then, I laugh softly.

Aiden told me what Dad did in the previous morning walk, and judging from Aiden's answer just now, I hope that today is different. I hope that Dad has warmed up to him.

Since I overheard Dad's conversation with Mom the day the accident happened, I know that sooner or later, he will give his blessing to us.

I return my gaze to the backyard when my thoughts consume me again.

"What are you thinking about?" Aiden asks.

I huff, blowing a strand of my hair. "College. What I'm going to do in the upcoming months."

"Tell me about it."

"Now that I think again, I want to extend my exchange program in Seattle," I say truthfully. "It's going to end soon. One semester, remember? I'd already thought about extending it a few months ago, you know, before..."

My words stop. I don't know how to talk about the time when we separated. It's painful to remember, and I know that Aiden would always feel guilty for what happened. It might have hurt him more than it did me.

I feel Aiden's hand taking mine. He puts it on his lap. While he's holding my hand, I turn my head to look at him and find the pain crossing his expression.

"Nevaeh..." he rasps, and I know without him saying it that he wishes he could turn back the time to undo the heartbreak.

"I didn't tell the universities that I wanted to extend the program because of how things went that time," I say, "and I should tell them now that I've decided to continue."

Aiden nods. "What's holding you back then?"

"I don't know. My dad?" I sigh again. "Even if I continue the program in Seattle, I don't know if he would be okay with me living with you again."

Aiden squeezes my hand, looking me in the eye. "Don't worry. He'll understand."

My brows furrow. "How?"

Aiden chuckles, and the look in his eyes is everything. It's like he has this big secret, a key to unlock my happiness, something that can erase all my worries.

"Everything will be alright, Heaven," he whispers. His eyes are smiling.

I want to believe him. "Do you really think so?"