103 | till death do us part

I step out of the bathroom in jogger pants and sit on the bed

I step out of the bathroom in jogger pants and sit on the bed. While I'm drying my hair that's still wet from the shower with a towel, I rummage through my suitcase and find a T-shirt to wear.

Staying in a hotel is Plan B, but I had no other choice. I expected Mr. Spencer's wrath.

I'm just frustrated that I can't be there right now when Nevaeh needs me. I'll be back tomorrow no matter what.

A knock on the door echoes, and I know who it is. Max. He texted me earlier that he would see me tonight.

Luna, however, wouldn't be coming with him. She understands that Max and I need to have this discussion alone.

I walk to the door and halt. Damn. This feels like deja vu, but it's me whose life is in danger right now and not him. Three years ago, I almost beat Max into a bloody pulp when I saw Luna in his hotel room in Paris. Now, whether Max will attack me or not depends on how he's taking the situation after knowing what happened between me and Nevaeh.

I open the door, and there standing before me is Max. We stare at each other for a while.

His expression is stoic. He has his hands inside his pants pocket. "Well, are you going to let me come inside or not?"

I let him step into my hotel room, then close the door behind me.

Nah. He's not going to kill me. As far as I remember, he still wants to marry my sister. Luna will surely hate him if he puts my dead body in a bag, won't she?

Good. My sister is saving my life.

Max flops himself onto the couch and sits like a mafia who owns this place. "Tell me why I shouldn't hit you."

This rascal. I would shoot a sarcastic reply if I didn't need him right now. He has to be on the same team.

Play it cool.

I shrug, shoving my hands into my jogger pockets. "You wouldn't. You have no reason to."

Max squints at me with a scowl on his face. "Really?" His Australian accent is suddenly thick.

"Yeah."

"Yeah?" He scoffs. "Look, I know you. We're not going to speak like strangers because you're like a brother to me, man. I know that you wouldn't hurt a girl, but if you hurt Nevaeh--"

"I am your brother," I say, feeling the urge to correct him. "And I love Nevaeh. Seeing her hurt would break me, and there's nothing I want more than to make her happy." My tone is dead serious.

Max is studying me. He's probably trying to spot any doubt or dishonesty in me, but he won't find it.

"My uncle won't let you get through easily," he says. "I know him so well. It's almost impossible. I don't think that he's ready to entrust his daughter to you."