55

° ° °
. . . When you smile it's shining, but for some reason you're lying inside. . .

° ° °

CHAPTER 55—————

CHAPTER 55
—————

The river flowed by fading in the horizon of the city. No defined start, no defined end in sight. Its sound filling the girls mind as she sat by it under the bridge. Her little hand full of stones as she threw with the other the furthest she could in the river. It's loud, but soft gurgle calming her most sensitive nerves.

It's been months since she first found the place. Four months since she was left alone between so many kids. Alone with him. Exactly four months had passed since she sent her best and only friend away.

The backpack she was supposed to fill with expensive jewellery once again rested empty next to her. She no longer felt the need to steal to keep herself safe. She knew whether she came back empty handed or rich, the same fate awaited her. She would have to spend the night with him, to celebrate or to be punished and it didn't make much of a difference to her.

She took a deep breath before grabbing another handful of stones and throwing another one in the water.

"Two hundred..."

She stopped breathing for a second. She wasn't sure if she was hearing things or someone was there with her. For a second she thought one of the other kids was there, about to threaten her for not doing her job, though she didn't recognize the voice.

The kid approached her slowly. Their steps on the stones made it easily predictable how far they were from her. "That was the two hundredth stone you threw in the river today."

The girl turned her head to face the kid. A boy around her height and probably her age. His hands in the pockets of his dirty reaped jeans as he slowly stepped closer to her.

Her lightless green eyes stuck on his. Her face- expressionless, and the dark circles under her eyes and her paled skin making her look like a real life zombie which wasn't far from how she felt.

The kid stopped for a moment when he saw her. His face saying how much she accidentally scared him. "Is life that hard on you?"

The girl didn't answer, just returned back to throwing more stones in the river. Not paying attention to the boy that had stopped walking right behind her.

He didn't seem to have much of a different lifestyle from hers. His clothes seemed to be worn out and his black leather jacket was reaped and chapped on a few places. It looked like he had taken it from a trash can. His black hair was messy and looked like he hasn't washed it in weeks.