57

° ° °
. . .Although as that light gets brighter, my shadow gets longer, when it's too bright and blinding will I be able to look behind me. . .

° ° °

CHAPTER 57—————

CHAPTER 57
—————

Laying between the sheets of the boss' kind sized bed, her hand clutched around the white silky material. Her green eyes stared out the window opposite of her. Empty of any feeling. It's been a while since she last felt pain. It was like her brain was programmed to ignore the feeling. It's been as long since she last felt scared or lonely. And it's been too long since she last felt hopeful.

She felt his arm heavy on her naked waist and soon after she heard him moving behind her as he woke up. She closed her eyes tightly, pretending to be still asleep as if it meant something to him.

He still pulled her closer to his bare chest under the blanket. He still leaned down burying his face in the crook of her slim neck, leaving kisses all the way to her shoulder. Did he even care if she was awake or not? Did he do it on purpose to wake her up? She never knew, never found out.

Anyhow, there was no point in pretending to be asleep when her heart was already pounding seven times faster than it should. She opened her eyes, a sleepy smile embroidered on her lips – it became a habit of hers. Pretending to be enjoying everything around him became her job and her most practiced talent. It became so easy to be jubilant that she started to forget that deep inside she wasn't anything near.

She forbid herself to think about it. She forbid herself to remember the years before that one, the promises, the wishes, the dreams. She forbid herself to hope that her sister would keep her promise. She stopped to dream of that day, of the future she once wanted, getting out of there and away from him.

It was easier to pretend that her life was normal, that what she had was what she wanted. It was a lot easier to be delusional about the truth behind her fake wide smile and forced loud laughter on jokes she never found funny.

After all she was a mere fourteen years old girl trapped in a life of a married woman, yet she didn't have another choice than to bare it all.

It's been more than a year since she gave herself up to him, but it felt like forever. She was trapped in time with no past and future, a single repeating day she was forced to be excited about like it always brought a new adventure.

But like every other day, the first word she muttered through her mastered smile was "Morning..." like she didn't go through hell and back the previous night and it didn't result in hundreds of new hickeys and bruises that seemed like they would never recover.

Again, the replay she got from her master's raspy morning voice was "Good morning, kitten." And like every previous day, she once again forced herself to grant him a good-morning kiss.