Camilo: My Favorite Face

You're beautiful.

You shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

Appearances don't matter!

That's all anyone ever had to say when you confessed your anxieties over your looks. Even if they truly meant what they said (which they probably didn't), it did nothing to ease the disgust and sadness you felt whenever you glanced in the mirror.

Being a close friend of the Madrigal family, you were constantly surrounded with beautiful people—especially Isabela, who didn't talk to you much anyway. Even though you loved them like they were your own family, being around them made your insecurities worse.

You ruffled your hair impatiently as you stared intently into your mirror, trying to make it behave, but it was no use. The ratty flyways refused to lay flat on your head. With an unsatisfied growl, you slumped back onto the chair, feeling worse than ever. Just a few minutes before, you'd attempted to pop the ugly zit on your nose, but that just resulted in a giant red mark on your face.

Suddenly, the door behind you burst open, making you nearly jump out of your skin.

"Guess who's here to cheer you up?" A familiar voice announced. You felt yourself smile upon seeing your favorite Madrigal, Camilo.

"Hola, Camilo," you greeted, turning around in your seat, tucking one foot under your leg as you did so. Somehow, just your best friend's mere presence was enough to make you feel a bit better.

Camilo crossed through your room before plopping down on your bed. He was so used to visiting you now that he never felt the need to ask permission anymore. You were perfectly okay with that; Camilo was more than welcome at any time. "So, Dolores tells me that you've been sighing to yourself all morning," he said accusingly, propping himself up by his elbows.

You pressed your lips together. "Dolores is a snitch," you grumbled, not bothering to keep your voice down. She would hear you just fine either way.

He let out a short laugh. "Tell me about it! I never get away with anything." He shifted smoothly into the tall form of his sister, beginning to mimic her in a voice that contrasted strongly with Dolores' real one. "'Mamá, Camilo's doing it again!'"

You offered a quiet giggle. You always found Camilo funny, but you didn't want to offend Dolores, either.

Camilo looked at you with concern before shifting back into himself. "Hey, you okay?"

You smiled. "Don't worry about me, Camilo. It's not that important, anyway."

"Hey," he said, putting a hand on your arm. You looked down with surprise, feeling slightly warm at the touch. "It's not unimportant, okay? If something's bothering you, I want to help."

You grinned sheepishly, though you felt no joy behind the action. "Can you make me look like I didn't just roll around in death?"

Looking perplexed, Camilo changed his appearance before you. Unfortunately, instead of one of his family members, he turned into you. "How's this?"

The mirror didn't do your hideousness justice. Suddenly, every flaw you so often picked at was now in front of you, more clear and more real than any picture could show. The blackheads on your forehead, the dark eyebags, and the way your features were set made your stomach flop.

You swallowed, looking away. "No, that's not what I meant." You felt shame rise in your chest like water, threatening to drown you and spill out of your eyes. You shouldn't be feeling this horrible! It was stupid to get so worked up over something as trivial as looks!