Bruno: Vanished

I had to disrupt the flow of All of You a little. Don't hate me T^T

You didn't know how you'd managed to live life as usual. You performed the same routine every day: Wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, help the Madrigal family with whatever they needed, then free time until bed.

The Madrigals, your in-laws, apparently couldn't comprehend your ability to function either. You didn't take a single day off, your clothes were always kept clean and unwrinkled, your face remained free of any signs of distress.

The only telltale sign that anything was wrong were your eyes. If you paid close enough attention, layers of misery and heartbreak could be seen swimming just below the surface.

On occasion, you would be asked if you were okay by one of your family members. You would always nod with a small smile, assuring them that everything was fine.

No one believed you, but they let it go. After all, would anyone be okay if their spouse disappeared without a trace?

It had been ten years since Bruno vanished, and all throughout that, you'd lived your life like normal—except for the first week.

The first week he'd been gone, you'd refused to come out of your room. You wouldn't eat, sleep, or accept sympathy. No one heard you cry, and no one was sure if you really did. The only time people saw you during that time was when they dared to enter your room—which had been created by the Casita after Bruno left.

And then you'd emerged, fresh and clean, with no giveaways that you'd been hurt badly. That's what scared everyone—the complete lack of distress after that entire week of isolation.

And then, ten years later, you kept up that appearance. But it would crack for only one thing: The mention of Bruno's name.

The utter pain in your eyes whenever he was brought up had solidified everyone's decision to not talk about him. They all loved you like you were their own sibling, parent, or child. Anything that hurt you hurt them as well.

So no one talked about Bruno.

-

It was directly after the disaster known as Isabela's proposal. No one had clued you in as to what they were whispering about, and the reason for that was clear in a minute.

You'd taken one look at the familiar green glow of the vision and fled to your room, sinking down into a chair and pressing your face into your hands.

A few seconds later, you heard your door open and close. Someone had followed you.

"Tía/Tío?" Antonio asked, gently tugging on your arm. You pulled your face away, looking at him with a smile.

"What's up, Tonito?" you replied.

The five-year-old frowned softly. "Are you okay?"

You blinked. "Don't worry about me, sobrino. I'm fine."

He clearly didn't believe you. Seemingly out of nowhere, he pulled out a small stuffed jaguar that Mirabel had made and held it out to you. Confused, you took it from him and ran your finger along the stitching.

"It'll help," he whispered, patting your hand. "It does for me."

Your eyes welled up, and you held out an arm to him. As he reached over and gave you a hug, you put your arm around him, squeezing gently. "Thank you." He stepped away, and you held out his stuffed animal to him, wiping your eyes. "But you should have what belongs to you. I'm okay, don't worry."

He took the jaguar with both hands, tilting his head at you slightly. "Okay."

You nodded towards the door. "You might want to check on your sister. She seemed upset." That was an understatement, and thinking about what made Dolores upset twisted your insides around. But Antonio nodded and you and left, closing the door behind him.