Isabela: Imperfect

La casa Madrigal had been repaired for about a week now, and the family slowly began to heal. Abuela Alma would catch herself saying something controlling, and immediately stop and apologize. She would tell Luisa to take a break, ask Bruno if he needed anything, or ask Pepa what caused the cloud above her head.

In Isabela's case, it was a little different. She'd spent 21 years pretending to always be happy and peaceful, putting on a perfect mask to be the Madrigal's golden child. No one knew whether or not she was faking, because she was so good at it.

She had a reason to pretend other than the years of masking she went through, and that reason was Y/n L/n. The two had been close friends since they were little, and it was clear that Y/n looked up to Isabela as a role model and great friend.

Isabela cherished your friendship more than anything in the world, which was why she continued her act. Would Y/n stop liking her if they knew her true personality? Would they not want to be friends anymore? Isabela couldn't bear that. It was easier to smile and grow vines.

Of course, Y/n was dazzled with the new plants Isabela grew, so maybe that was a good sign, but Isabela wasn't ready to risk it yet—or maybe ever.

~~~

Y/n's POV:

You watched in wonder as Isabela swung from the roof of the casita, leaving a trail of jacaranda flowers as she went. She didn't see you sitting on the steps, but you didn't mind. You could watch her happily grow plants all day.

With a small sigh of content, you cupped your chin in your hands and eyed a flower Isabela created as it floated down and landed on your knee. Smiling, you picked up the jacaranda and twirled it around in your fingers.

"Hey," Mirabel said, leaning on the railing next to you. You didn't jump. There were a lot of Madrigals in the house, so you were bound to have one sneak up on you.

"Hi, Mirabel," you said, turning back to the twirling flower in your hand.

Mirabel sat next to you, holding her knees, watching you watch Isabela. "So, how's that crush going?"

You choked on your own saliva, coughing several times before gasping, "What? I don't have a crush on Isabela!"

Mirabel smirked at you triumphantly. "Y/n, I never said it was on Isabela."

Your face flooded with heat, knowing you lost, and you put your head in your knees. "Fine. What should I do?"

"Just tell her!" Mirabel said. "You two have been friends for, what, forever?"

"Exactly," you told her. "We're just friends! She doesn't see me that way." You looked up at Isabela on the roof, who was now shaking petals out of her blue-streaked hair. "Besides...she's way out of my league."

Mirabel grunted. "So that's how it's gonna be, huh?"

You stopped listening to her, because just then, Isabela noticed you watching her. She paused, then waved at you with a breathtaking smile. You grinned widely and waved back.

Mirabel got up. "You can't hide your feelings forever, Y/n. Believe me, I know." She slipped away as Isabela landed next to you, flipping her hair out of her face.

"Hey!" she grinned at you, sitting next to you in Mirabel's place. "Check out this flower I discovered." She opened her palm and showed you a small pink flower. "It's called a Peruvian lily."

"It's beautiful," you said, looking at the flower in her hand.

She chuckled and put it behind your ear. This wasn't an unusual act for her—she'd been putting flowers behind your ear since you were little. But after your conversation with Mirabel, your feelings seemed to be in higher definition as you took in her stunning features. Your heartbeat quickened, and you realized her hand was still on your cheek.