Camilo: Rivals

(This will have curse words [in Spanish] so brace yourself lmao. Also, this is pretty long, so I apologize for that)

~Seven years old~

Your father looked out the kitchen window one morning, sipping his coffee. "Look at the Madrigals," he said, his voice thick with contempt. "Always showing off their gifts for everyone to see."

You peeked out the window, too. Outside was a clear view of an eleven-year-old girl picking up a donkey. You nodded, agreeing with your father, like a child does. "Why did they get magic but not us, papi?"

He scoffed, lowering his coffee mug. "Because their grandfather is dead."

Your eyes widened, looking up at your dad. Your mother had died, too, but your father had completely forbidden the topic. You didn't even know what her name was. "That's sad."

"They don't seem to care," he snarled. "As long as they got something good out of it." He slammed his mug down so hard that you flinched. He never hit you, but he was scary when he was mad. "Remember, Y/n, they're selfish. They claim to help us, but they think they're better than everyone."

"Okay, papi," you whispered.

~Ten years old~

It was a rare occasion that you were allowed outside, so you savored every moment when you could. You never went outside without your father's supervision, so that he could protect you from the Madrigals' abnormality.

You were happy to be exploring the town. Little kids your age would stop and say hi, and you would say hi back, knowing that they weren't the strange Madrigal family that could harm you with their powers.

"Are we almost done with our errands?" you asked your father, skipping a little as you walked.

"Almost, mi tesoro," he replied, holding your hand. Then he stopped. "We should go now."

You looked where he was looking. A few yards away was a little boy in a yellow poncho, surrounded by a group of other kids. He spotted you over their heads and waved, a bright smile on his round face.

Gripping your father's arm, you whimpered, "Pa, is that one of them?"

He quickly scooped you up into his arms and began walking away quickly. Over his shoulder, the Madrigal boy looked confused and hurt, changing his appearance to you. With a small gasp, you looked away, feeling scared.

"Come on, Y/n. We need to go."

~Thirteen years old~

At this point, you were allowed out by yourself, but only for a certain amount of time. This was one of the days where you cautiously crept around, hiding behind buildings whenever one of the Madrigals was within view.

Your breath quickened as a young woman swung by, trailing flowers everywhere she went. With a scoff, you took another route to the bakery you wanted to visit.

Finally, you arrived at the bakery. You'd heard many wonderful things about the food there, and occasionally seeing people holding its baked goods.

You inhaled deeply as you entered, the smell of baked desserts becoming dizzying. I'll buy something for papi and myself, you thought, going to stand in line behind an old man.

Your mind was so preoccupied with the prospect of food, you were only pulled back to reality when the woman behind the counter said, "Honestly, Camilo! You can't keep coming back to get free samples!"