Dolores: Migraine

The Madrigal home was chaotic as usual as you arrived to visit your girlfriend. The tiles underneath you moved in greeting, and a sharp gust of wind blew a toucan in your direction. Thankfully, you ducked before it hit you, and you heard Pepa's voice shout an apology out of your line of vision.

As you reached the stairs, Isabela surprised you by swinging down to you by a vine. "Hey, Y/n," she said, landing on the ground. "Here to see Dolores?"

"Yep," you replied. "Do you know where she is?"

"I think she's in her room," Isabela responded. "She hasn't left for a while," she added, her eyebrows coming together a little as she spoke.

You nodded, feeling a little worried. "Okay, thanks, Isa." You climbed the stairs, wondering why Dolores hadn't left her room. Was she okay?

You reached Dolores' door and knocked on it. You were surprised to see not Dolores, but Félix open the door.

"Ah, hello, Y/n," he said, looking uncomfortable. "Everything's a bit loud for Dolores today, so she'd prefer to be alone."

"Oh." You nodded, trying not to feel hurt. It wasn't often that Dolores felt too overwhelmed to spend time with you.

Just then, you heard her, so quiet you had to focus to understand her. "Is that Y/n? Let them in."

Félix nodded, stepping aside to let you step in. "I'll leave you two alone." He gently shut the door and walked away.

It hurt to look at Dolores. She sat bunched up in her bed, hands pressed over her ears. On her forehead was a fine layer of sweat.

You stepped closer and sat at the edge of her bed. "Dolores?" you spoke softly. "What's wrong?"

She opened her large eyes with apparent difficulty. "Hey, mi vida," she whispered. "It's a migraine."

You winced. Migraines were bad enough as it was. But Dolores had it ten times worse with her gift. "I'm sorry." You put a hand on her arm. "Is there anything I can do?"

She swallowed. "No."

"Okay."

After a moment of silence—for you, anyway—you whispered, "Why don't you ask Julieta for something?"

"She's busy," Dolores murmured, squeezing her eyes shut again. "I don't want to bother her."

You nodded. "Then I'll go get her." You stood up and planted a small kiss on Dolores' head before leaving.

"Julieta!" you called as you slid into the kitchen. Julieta turned to you, hands full of food, with a surprised look on her face. "Listen, I'm going to need something to help Dolores with her migraine."

Julieta blinked, looking worried. "Dolores has a migraine?" But it wasn't her voice. Before your eyes, Camilo turned back into himself. "How can I help?"

You couldn't even feel annoyed that Camilo had pulled a shifting trick again. "Julieta made those, right?" you asked, pointing to the plate of food in his hands.

He nodded. "Yeah. Can I help you take these to Dolores?"

"Sure," you said, "But be quiet."

A few minutes later, you'd entered your girlfriend's room again, Camilo trailing behind. "Hey, cariño."

She looked up to face you and her brother. "Hi."

"You were right, Julieta was busy," you whispered. "But Camilo wasn't."

Camilo grinned mischievously. "Here," he said, handing her an arepa.

She bit it, and almost immediately, she let out a sigh. "Migraine's gone," she said in a normal voice, wiping the sweat off her forehead. "Thank you."
"No problem," you and Camilo said in unison. You sat next to Dolores and gave her a hug. "Glad you're feeling better."

She rested her head on your shoulder. "Me, too." She looked at Camilo making gagging noises behind you. "If you don't leave, I'm telling Julieta you were impersonating her."

That effectively got rid of her brother, so she kissed your nose. "I love you."

"I love you too," you replied. "And don't be afraid to ask for help next time, okay?"

"Okay," she said, snuggling closer to you.