Isabela: Something Unexpected

As everyone knew, Isabela Madrigal was the most perfect person in the world. Her flowers could light up anyone's day, and a simple smile could cause the most tough of people to melt where they stood.

As such, it was no surprise when Mariano Guzmán, one of the most attractive and well-respected men in town, wanted to arrange a proposal to her. Everyone was ecstatic at the news and immediately began planning a proposal dinner for the two—after all, a perfect match required a perfect proposal.

Being Mariano's sibling, you should have felt happy for him. After all, he was about to become engaged to the most amazing, perfect, beautiful woman in the world.

But that was exactly why you couldn't be happy for him. It was a horrible feeling, jealousy. But recently, whenever your brother stole lovestruck glances at Isabela, you wanted nothing more than to punch him directly in the nose.

You didn't, though. You made no sign that you were in love with Isabela—instead you carefully arranged a smile on your face and pat your brother on the back when he had expressed the desire to propose.

Despite your feelings for Isabela, you loved Mariano, too. You didn't want to do anything that might hurt him, even if that pain was multiplied tenfold inside you.

And so it continued for months, neither of you acting on your feelings for Isa, until the night Mariano came home, a jubilant grin on his face.

"What?" you asked, looking up from washing the dishes and staring at him suspiciously. Mariano only looked that happy for two reasons. Number one: When he had done something to mess with you. Number two: Any interaction with Isabela whatsoever.

"I've done it!" he exclaimed joyfully, and your mother followed behind him, positively beaming. "I've talked to Alma, and she gave me her blessing!"

You dropped the plate you were holding on the counter. "To propose?"

"Yes!" your mother cried happily, kissing your brother on the cheek. "How wonderful is this?"

You shoved your hands in your pockets to stop them from trembling. "...wonderful." You bit your lip and forced a smile, meeting your brother's eyes. "Congratulations, Mariano. You'll make a good husband."

And you meant that. Mariano had dreamed about marriage for so long, and now he was getting his deepest wish. He was a little dumb, sure, but his heart was in the right place.

Your heart, however, was telling you to either cry or kill your sibling.

"Excuse me," you mumbled, running upstairs into your room. As soon as you shut your door, waves of misery washed over you, forcing you to your knees. Isabela and Mariano are going to be married, you thought, not daring to believe it. Somehow, you had always thought that Mariano wasn't going to act on his feelings, just like you. All hope of that happening disappeared completely.

You pressed both hands against your mouth, refusing to let yourself cry. You had done so well in covering up your feelings so far. You couldn't let them sneak out now.

You allowed yourself a few quiet sobs, before pulling yourself together. Your brother meant more to you than a silly infatuation with a girl.

A wonderful, gorgeous, selfless girl.

"No," you whispered to yourself. "You will go to the engagement with your family. You will be happy for Mariano, and you will not talk to Isabela."

With a nod, you flopped onto your bed, staring into space for the next few hours.

Far away, in her room, Dolores Madrigal sat straight up in bed, having heard everything. Focusing more, she could hear her prima reciting a similar speech in her room.

"Accept the proposal," Isabela whispered. "It will make the family happy—that's what matters. Forget Y/n."

Dolores pressed her lips together. She wasn't one to interfere with other people's business—even now, she could hear her own tio talking to his rats, and she'd never said a word about it. But this was different somehow. Y/n Guzmán was always polite and always supported their sibling. Who would have guessed that they would sacrifice their own happiness for their brother?

And Isabela? She was about to shackle herself to a loveless marriage, when she would rather be with her own future in-law. Dolores didn't want these people to suffer when she could easily say something.

Besides, she thought, there's Mariano. Her chest constricted at the thought of her beloved, who didn't know she existed. She shook her head, making her decision. This will be beneficial to everyone, she convinced herself.

-----

The dinner was a disaster.

Mariano left, sobbing loudly with a squashed nose, and Isabela stormed from the casita, yelling at Mirabel for causing trouble.

You had started to follow Mariano, but faltered at the sight of Isabela, soaking wet and furious, but still beautiful. That was what made Isabela perfect—the fact that she wasn't.

You watched her for a moment, knowing that it would be inappropriate to approach her after what had just happened, when she noticed you.

"Y/n?" she asked, the anger slowly leaving her face.

You tucked your hands behind your back. "Isabela," you greeted politely. "Are you okay?"

She laughed without humor. "I just broke your brother's nose," she reminded you. "Shouldn't you be asking him that question?"

"Eh," you said with a shrug. "He's got our mamá to fuss over him."

"Ah."

An awkward silence passed between you. Isabela couldn't help but notice how cute you looked when you were embarrassed. "Well," she said, "I'll see you around."

You nodded, your feelings sinking. "Yeah."

As she began to walk away, you called after her without thinking. "Isabela, you know you can talk to me if you need anything, right?"

She turned to face you, her eyes widening. "Oh. Okay."

You grimaced, unable to believe what you were doing. "If you don't want to, I get it. You want to be with my brother."

"I don't, really," she whispered. Your mouth popped open in shock. "I...only ever noticed you, anyway."

You swallowed, feeling yourself blush. "Oh."

"Yeah." Isabela wrung her hands together, avoiding your eyes.

From inside the Casita, Abuela Alma yelled, "Isabela!"

Isabela gulped. "Oh no." She looked at you one more time before entering her home. "I'll talk to you later," she promised, and then she was gone.

It wasn't until after you were halfway home that it occurred to you that Isabela had pretty much just confessed her feelings to you. The memory turned your walk into a skip.

You would just have to ask to court her after your brother moved on—he had a lot of love to give, but he didn't really care about who he gave it to.

As you skipped away into the distance, Dolores smiled knowingly. Soon, but not yet, everyone would be happy.

I genuinely have no idea what this is I'm so sorry-