Luisa: Take a Break

You were doing your daily walk throughout the village one morning, which always made you smile. The Encanto was often bustling with action and excitement, where people did their part to help the community.

Every time you went out, you spotted Luisa and usually talked to her—but it could never last, as she was always working. You wondered why she had to work so often, and how it was possible that no one was able to do their own chores but Luisa.

You talked to her at other times as well, such as each gift ceremony the Madrigals held. It concerned you every time how much she worked—she never stopped to take a break or catch her breath, and the one time you saw her hesitate, she was called to do more chores.

This was one of those days where you paused to say hi to her, while she was in the middle of setting a herd of donkeys in a pen.

"Hey, Luisa!" you greeted with a wave. She turned around and grinned widely when she saw you.

"Y/n! It's good to see you," she replied, dusting her hands off. She rubbed the back of her neck with a grimace—was it hurting her?

You tilted your head. "Is your neck bothering you?" you asked, pointing to where she was touching.

She dropped her hand quickly. "No! Well, it's kind of sore, as is the rest of me, but that's normal."

Your eyes narrowed. "Um, no it isn't. It's not normal to be sore all the time." She gulped, looking almost guilty. You took a step closer. "I think you might be working too hard, Luisa."

She laughed, but it sounded panicked. "What are you talking about? I'm not working too hard!"

"Luisa!" called a townsperson, "Can you get rid of this boulder?"

"Can do!" she responded, before looking back at your unamused form. She sighed. "Look, I have things I need to do now, so I'll talk to you later." With that, she hurried off to the direction of the boulder that was larger than her entire figure.

Feeling disgruntled at her quick dismissal, you continued on your way, but your head was full of ways to make her take a break.

---

The next day, you approached the man who kept losing his donkeys. "Buenos días, señor!"

"Hola!" he replied with a wave. "Y/n, is it?"

"That's me!" you said cheerfully. "Listen, I've been wondering...how do your donkeys keep getting loose?"

He sighed, putting a hand on his forehead. "There's a huge gap in my fence. Every time I fix it, the donkeys break it again somehow!"

You pressed your lips together. "Have you considered getting a stronger fence?"

He blinked. "Well, I..."

Scowling now, you said, "Did you just expect Luisa to return them every time they get out?"

He squirmed, looking highly uncomfortable. "...well, I—"

"Seriously?" You groaned, smacking your forehead. "Look, you seem nice and all, sir, but you can't rely on Luisa to clean up your messes! She's not a machine!"

He swallowed nervously. "That's true, but—"

"Just—try to take charge next time, okay?" you advised. "Luisa has enough on her plate as it is."

Having said your part, you walked away, leaving the donkey man gobsmacked.

You repeated this routine with everyone in town who seemed to demand Luisa's attention every day. Some of them seemed genuinely guilty about exploiting Luisa's gift, but others were harder to convince.

"Well, it's her job, isn't it?" said one villager, waving her hand dismissively. "Why would she be given her gift if it wasn't to help us?"

"Because believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you," you said coldly, causing her eyes to pop. "Luisa works herself to the point where her entire body hurts every day. What have you done?"

As you marched away from the entitled villager, you realized you'd finished talking to everyone that needed it. With a shrug, you decided to visit the Madrigal's casita.

As you approached their door, you ran into Luisa, who was coming from the same direction you were.

"Hi," you said happily, stopping where you stood.

"Hey..." She looked completely bewildered.

You became concerned immediately. "Luisa? Are you okay? You look...lost."

She fidgeted with the waistline of her skirt. "Well, no one's been asking me for help today...I feel like I did something wrong. Did I fall short on my performance recently?"

Your eyes widened, surprised that she thought that way. "No! Of course not." You bit your lip. "I sort of have a confession." She looked up, and you could see the confusion in her face. "I kind of told everyone in town to do their own chores."

"What?"

Your face felt hot with embarrassment. What if she took it the wrong way? "I noticed how much you worked, so I talked to the townspeople and told them to take matters into their own hands so you wouldn't have to."

She stared at you perplexedly, and your pulse quickened, terrified that she would become angry with you. You cared about her a lot, so the idea of making her upset was almost too much to bear.

All thoughts vanished from your mind when Luisa picked you up and hugged you so tightly your ribs hurt. "You did all that for me?" she whispered, her voice wavering slightly.

"Mhm," you grunted, unable to breathe. But if you were honest with yourself, it felt nice.

"Oh, sorry!" she said, realizing how hard she was hugging you. She gently set you down and began obsessively brushing off your clothes. "Are you okay?"

With a giggle, you put your hands on hers to still them. "I'm okay." You took in every detail of her face, feeling warm all over again. "Hey, since you have a free day, do you want to hang out with me?"

Luisa blinked, a slow smile spreading across her face. "I would really like that," she said. She glanced at your hands, which were still on top of her own, and her face flushed a little.

You quickly pulled your hands away, not wanting to overstep your boundaries. "Well," you said, clearing your throat, "Where do you want to go?"

She seemed a little disappointed that you removed your hands from hers, but the expression was swiftly replaced with a thoughtful one. "There's this bakery in town that I've never had the chance to visit..." she said.

You nodded with a grin. "I know exactly which one you're talking about. Come on!"

With that, you led her town the street.