01

༊*·˚ fools

"i want to pierce my ears again," hyerin frowned.

myunghee peeled her eyes open and looked up at her from her lap. "how many times have i told you that dyeing your hair and getting your ears pierced won't fix the problem?"

hyerin shrugged. "no, but at least i look pretty and it's a temporary distraction. besides, you do it too so you can't talk." she smiled, innocently.

myunghee gave her a disapproving look but closed her eyes again and faced the sun while on hyerin's lap.

"we have a problem."

the youngest one groaned and sat up. "we?" she looked at the guy. "oui? je non parle français, motherfucker."

hyerin giggled before looking up at the obviously concerned boy. "let me guess, you caused it?"

dongmin scratched the back of his head in an awkward manner which was the giveaway that what she'd said was true.

"what happened?"

"i may or may not have scratched the principal's car..." he cringed at his words.

any hint of humour was completely wiped off the girls' faces and their expressions fell as if they'd just seen a ghost. myunghee was the first to unfreeze and she shot up off the floor.

"are you serious, lee dongmin!?" she screamed, earning some attention from other students.

hyerin got up off the floor and slung her bag over her shoulder. "let's go see it." she gestured for him to lead the way which he not-so-proudly did so.

"this is worse than i thought."

"you are so dead, dongmin."

two things the poor boy didn't need to hear since he was already pissing himself in fear of the consequences of his own actions.

he grabbed the back of his head in anxiety as she searched around the parking for any sign of the principal but, "my career as an exemplary student is over!" he stressed.

"okay, you don't need to be so dramatic." myunghee rolled her eyes.

class was to start five minutes later so the three students walked to their classrooms. myunghee and dongmin were in the same class only hyerin was by herself so they only spoke to each other during the morning, short breaks and lunch.

lee donghyuck and na jaemin also happened to be in her class.

it just had to be him.

she didn't speak to him and he didn't speak to her, simple. they ignored each other as if they didn't have a past that she was reminded of whenever she looked at him. memories plagued her mind and she shuddered at them whenever they came to mind.

just as she turned a corner, she bumped into someone's chest.

"watch it," he snapped, looking down at her then walking past.

she heard him scoff something to jaemin but couldn't hear what and besides, it wasn't of interest, so she just continued heading to class.

lunch time came around after a few classes and hyerin and friends went to sit outside on the concrete stairs leading to the field used for pe classes. dongmin had left to speak to the principal so it was just myunghee and hyerin.

"i know i've said this before but i really think this is your best hair colour," myunghee complimented.

hyerin smiled as she took strands of her wavy hair and twirled it around her fingers. depending on the light, it would either appear red or purple and it wasn't necessarily the colour she was going for but she liked it regardless.

"i was thinking of dark purple next," she mumbled. "this isn't purple enough." she flicked her hair over her shoulders and leaned back on her palms.

"shave it off. military style."

hyerin snickered. "stop."

"you'd still look good!"

just as she said that, a ball came flying in their direction almost hitting her on the head if she hadn't moved out the way.

"sorry! can we have our ball back?"

pridefully, hyerin went to retrieve the ball and brought it to the edge of the stairs doing a running kick to kick it down to the boys on the field below.

"you're good at football. how long have you played it?"

hyerin shrugged after sitting down. "probably since i was eight or something. i used to play most days after school because a lot of the other guys in my class would play and i found it interesting so i joined! they didn't discriminate against me for being a girl which, looking back, is nice to see from kids during that time. i also used to play with-" she stopped talking before she could mention his name and myunghee immediately understood.

behind them, dongmin burst through the doors taking both of them by surprise.

"you're back so soon?" myunghee questioned in surprise.

he let out a huff. "i didn't talk to him. i was walking to his office but then i got scared and turned around and came back," he worried.

myunghee buried her head in her hands giving a disappointed shake. "you know what?" she shot up and grabbed her bag then his wrist. "since he doesn't have enough balls, i'll go with him to tell the principal. we'll be back soon." myunghee dragged him away as if he were a dog which hyerin found amusing and snickered at.

dongmin and myunghee were the only two good friends who'd helped her in the times she needed someone the most. they took her under their wing within the first few weeks of school and hadn't left her since. hyerin appreciated what they'd done for her up until then: the midnight calls, the reassurance after breakdowns and the good times to make the bad ones seem less important.

just as she was deep in her thoughts, a ball flew over her head bringing her back go reality. the guys below turned to their teammate growing frustrated meaning he was probably the same one who'd hit the ball the first time. she picked the ball up again and descended the steps to approach the boys.

"can i play with you guys?"

they looked amongst each other before the tallest one, the one she'd spoken to, shrugged and decided to give her a go. "sure."

it was the best decision they'd made because in five minutes they were impressed with her skills after she'd already scored them a goal and thus gave her high fives and high tens as she went for a lap around the field.

donghyuck grew frustrated with the volume of noise they were making and considered yelling at them until he saw that she was there. he focused on the game a little longer until he saw her make the goal and they celebrating in victory. he scoffed and looked away.

when lunch came to an end, hyerin went to class by herself since dongmin and myunghee hadn't yet returned. just as she'd entered the school hallway, she ran into someone.

"do you keep bumping into me on purpose or something?"

"no. i keep bumping into you because we go to the same school we're in the same class so, unfortunately, there's a high chance we cross paths often. move." she slipped between donghyuck and some other guy she didn't care to know the name of and headed to class leaving him standing there with a slight smirk on his face.

<3
thoughts and opinions??