48

༊*·˚ fools

after lunch hyerin went to her class and shakily sat down in her seat. she got a few glimpses due to her fiasco in the queue so she tried to keep her head down and ignore it. 

"hyerin, are you okay?" jaemin, frantically, asked her with worry in his eyes. 

"yeah, jaem, i'm fine." she offered him a tight-lipped smile. 

she wasn't fine at all. but, she couldn't tell anyone because nobody knew. 

hyerin looked up and jaemin was still there looking down at her with concern written all over his face. donghyuck was next to him. the worry in his eyes was obvious. just as he was about to speak, the teacher walked in and asked everyone to get in their seats. 

she noticed them glancing in her direction every once in a while until the end of school but she pretended like she didn't and got on with her work. her leg violently bouncing up and down as she waited to go home. 

<3

rocky greeted her at her footsteps the second she stepped through the door jumping and barking at her feet. with a smile, she sat on the welcome carpet and gave him plenty of rubs and pets. she pulled him into her lap and, before she knew it, tears were falling down her cheeks and rocky was whining. jeju came next to rub herself against her owner in a loving manner. 

she picked herself up from the floor a few minutes later after drying her tears telling herself she wasn't doing herself any favours and went to make something to eat. looking into the cupboards, she found cereal to be the best option so she got out milk and a bowl. 

hyerin debated on whether she should tell her uncle about the event because there was a chance he'd find out from word-of-mouth anyway and she'd rather him find out from her no matter how hard it was for her to talk about it even after all this time. 

when he arrived a few hours later with a bag of takeaway in hand, she greeted him by the stairs with a soft smile. 

"hey," he greeted her warmly, completely oblivious, "i got us some indian food for tonight. we haven't had it in a while so i figured why not?" he walked to the kitchen after placing his bag down.

hyerin set the table, grabbing plates and, absentmindedly, the whole time thinking about how she would tell him. she thought she was acting smooth but her uncle noticed something was wrong when she opened the wrong drawer to grab cutlery when she'd never done it before.

after they sat at the table, he kept a close eye on her, waiting for her to tell him because he knew that eventually she would crack. he never pressured her, only, allowed her to speak whenever she felt comfortable enough to do so. 

"bhel puri is so good i could eat this for the rest of my life and be happy," he commented. "how do you find the chana masala?"

"really good!" she enthused. "i like it a lot."

there was a pause of several seconds. 

"i need to tell you something." another pause as she took a breath. "he's back."

she didn't need to say more. he knew exactly what she meant when she said he. it was him.

"did he-"

"he touched me," she whispered. 

jaehyung's hands ball into tight fists to the point where his knuckles turn white. 

"he- he-"

immediately, he became aware that she was entering a panicking stage because words were getting stuck in her throat and she couldn't breathe. he jumped to her side, crouching beside her with a hand on her back. 

"it's okay, it's okay. breathe slowly..." he told her in a hushed tone. 

as angry and frustrated as he was, his priority was calming her down. when she did relax, he ran a shaking hand (shaking with anger, not anxiety) over his face. 

"i'm getting you a restraining order from him," he stated. "i'm going to call my lawyer friend so he can get on that tomorrow morning."

she didnt argue. 

"eat your food, i'll be right back." he slammed the garden door behind himself. 

hyerin was too shaken to eat something even if she tried so she placed clingfilm over her plate and left it out on the side for later knowing she'd be hungry and she went up to her room. rocky followed and took his place on her bed. she checked her phone and replied to messages from myunghee and one from jisung before her uncle came by. 

"he said he can get it in a week, week and a half tops." her uncle slid his phone into his pocket. "hyerin i'm going to ask you a question and you don't have to answer it right now but i want you to think about it carefully."

she pursed her lips.

"do you want to take this to trial?"

he'd asked her the same question two years ago with hopes that she would say yes - confident she would, even - because he wanted nothing more than justice to be served to that asshole but she didn't then. he only wished she did now. 

"i'm going to eat then do some office work, okay? if you fall asleep before i do then goodnight." he gave her a soft smile. 

"goodnight."

<3

so sorry! i basically lost my interest in writing for 3ish months but it's slowly coming back. i dont know how often i'll update but since it's summer and i dont have anything else to do i'll probably update more often (: