15

༊*·˚ fools

"i was thinking about adopting a dog."

hyerin's eyes widened at her uncle's words. "yes! excellent idea. but why are you thinking about that now?"

he shrugged. "i feel like it would be nice. besides, i've always wanted to own one ever since bruce died."

bruce was the family dog he had growing up. a large dog one of those muscular ones with pointy ears and gruff barks. there was a picture of the whole family in the living room with the dog.

"i'm thinking about a big, fluffy dog that can also be used as a guard dog."

hyerin laughed. "guard dog? why do we need a guard dog?"

"well, just in case, you know? you can use your scary dog privileges to go on those walks you used to go with donghyuck on," he suggested.

she considered the thought but it was a good idea. the reason she hadn't gone out on walks as often was because she was afraid of what could happen. it was better to be safe than sorry.

"what about jeju?"

he shrugged. "she just sits around on the windowsill all day and sleeps. i don't think she'll have a problem."

hyerin snickered. "i'll brain storm names."

"i'll go around looking at shelters and stuff during my days off."

"when are you next off?"

"tomorrow."

she hummed. "oh, um, did you get the email about the geography trip? it's in six weeks."

"i haven't seen the email, no."

"yeah, it's basically just information about the trip and how much needs to be paid," she informed.

he nodded. "i'll sort that out for you."

"thank you."

"oh, hey, before you go..." he mumbled and reached over to grab an elongated cardboard box. "i bought you these." he pushed the box in her direction with a big smile.

"what is it?" she nervously grinned as she took the box from his hands.

"open it."

inside the box loosely wrapped in tissue paper was a pair of skating shoes. brand new and so shiny.

"i know you have a pair but those are years old and i figured if i got you some new ones that it could motivate you to skate again," he explained.

tears brimmed her eyes and her chin wobbled but she composed herself and embraced her uncle in a hug.

"thank you."

the gesture took him by surprise since they didn't hug each other much only when either of them really needed one so it took him a second to hug her back.

"hey... what's this for?" he cooed, stroking her hair.

"for what you do for me."