42

༊*·˚ fools

the lights were blinding so hyerin couldn't make out anyone in the audience which helped her slight stage fright; it'd been a long time since she'd performed so she was anxious that something could go wrong.

her confidence grew as she slid, spun and jumped in the air performing the choreography she could do it in her sleep if she really wanted to. she knew it better than the back of her hand.

she knew it better than she knew donghyuck.

donghyuck.

her eyes searched the crowd for him but he wasn't there.

renjun, jeno, jaemin were all there - chenle and jisung even showed up. dongyoung was sat a few rows across with johnny and mark. people who she didn't expect to be there were there. and he wasn't.

she didn't know what she expected of course he wasn't going to be here.

hyerin continued performing her choreography as if her life depended on it so she ended up forgetting about donghyuck's absence and continued skating until the last beat of her song.

when it finished, she stood poised in the final position and the crowd erupted in cheers and claps as her chest heaved up and down. however, from the corner of her eyes, she saw someone sliding through the crowd facing her.

the leather jacket and fluffy hair made it obvious who it was.

she couldn't believe her eyes.

somehow, they locked eyes from across the room and his eyes. he looked tired. even with the lack of illumination, his eyes still sparkled.

quickly, she turned back around and went behind the curtains, taking off her skates as soon as possible so she was comfortable and running to the bathrooms to take a breather. what was going on?

the "breather" turned into her hyperventilating and before she knew it tears were falling down her cheeks and she didn't even know why. why was she so sensitive? what was getting her so emotional?

after blowing her nose and walking out the bathrooms with her head down, she ran into someone.

donghyuck.

his eyes searched hers looking for something she couldn't quite figure out what it was. but seeing her eyes puffy and nose red - seeing her vulnerable - made him want to wrap his arms around her, embrace her, hold her.

"what do you want?" she asked in a mildly annoyed tone.

he opened his mouth to speak but seemed to choke on his words. "you- you did good today. just now."

he was... praising her?

"thanks."

his eyes dug deeper. "are you okay?"

she wiped under her nose and flashed him a smile. "perfectly dandy."

she ran off and met her uncle and friends out.

words of praise rang into her ears from everyone that had come to see her and she couldn't wipe the smile from her face the whole time.

just a few minutes later, the winners were announced and everyone was hoping and praying that she would get at least in the top three. the whole row was filled with everyone having their fingers crossed.

"in second place... moon hyerin!"

she sat in disbelief as the cheers and claps echoed around her. if it wasn't for myunghee pushing her to grab the trophy, she would've continued to be in a daze.