41

༊*·˚ fools

hyerin woke up motivated the next day, probably because it was competition day, but it felt nice enjoying the feeling of waking up for once. she only had training in a few hours but she wanted to get her bag ready ahead of time so she packed her stuff and placed the bag with her outfit by her backpack so she wouldn't forget it. her uncle had the day off work because he wouldn't miss his niece's ice skating comeback even if all the gods were holding him back. thankfully, they weren't. 

although he'd taken the day off, he'd gone food shopping and so hyerin made herself something to eat - french toast, to be exact - her favourite snack. 

something in her made her want to clear out the boxes in her closet so after eating that was what she did. they were just random boxes filled with things she didn't even remember she had. she was chucking things out and keeping others.

then she came across one with "hyuck" written in permanent marker. 

she took a deep breath before opening and seeing what was inside because she truly didn't remember. 

then it came back to her as soon as she took the lid off. 

it was all the things donghyuck had made and brought her throughout the years of their friendship. she had birthday cards, letters, stupid notes they passed during class, a plushie from a mcdonald's meal they'd gotten and she liked his more so they swapped. she remembered where everything had come from. 

their old friendship bracelets that didn't fit their wrists were there, his lyric drafts he'd write in class instead of writing notes, a bunch of sweets he'd given her when he didn't want them (and even if he did, he'd give them to her instead), the last birthday card he got her was also in there and looking through it was a mistake because he'd attached a picture of them together to the interior. and even more pictures was what she found at the bottom of the box. she gathered them into a pile and let out a steady breath before going through them. 

one was of them was them outside their middle school for the first day of school. her uncle and his dad insisted on them taking a picture so they could look back at these like fond memories. another was at a carnival and he was eating ice cream rather messily. the one following was him posing with ice cream around his mouth. she looked down at the date and saw that it'd been taken three years ago but she could recollect these memories as if they'd been yesterday. there was one of him sleeping on the floor because he was trying to prove a point then was too tired to get up so he just stayed there, one of them hugging and donghyuck was holding her extremely tightly, another one where they were at lotte world, one of them at the beach after she'd buried him in the sand. another was a picture of them at a wedding they attended and the way he was looking at her would make anyone say that he's in love with her. it was that look and she didn't even notice it then and not now. 

before she knew it, tears were falling down her cheeks and dropping onto the pictures making her wipe them away with her sleeve before they stained the paper. it didn't stop her from looking through the pictures and before she knew it she was on her knees with her back on the bed and sobbing into her duvet. 

the tears must've been bass boosted because a minute later she felt the warm embrace of her uncle's arms around her and she wailed into his chest, gripping his shirt in her hands until her knuckles turned white. 

he stroked her hair and rubbed her back while softly shushing her in an attempt to calm her down. 

"i fucking miss him so much," she sobbed, gasping for air. "and doesn't even give a shit about me."

he continued to shush her and rub her back. 

it wasn't a lot but it helped her to steady her breathing and calm down. eventually, her breathing slowed and she raised her head from his chest to look into her uncle's eyes.

his eyebrows showed concern but seeing her face made his eyes soften and he wiped her tears away with his thumb. "is he coming today?"

she shook her head. 

he pressed his lips to the top of her head. "you're going to excel either way. now, go get ready."

she did as he requested as soon as he left her bedroom. she showered and shaved then did her hair and some makeup. by that time, there was a knock on the front door and it was revealed to be mr ha. 

"you look gorgeous," he complimented her. "you'll look even more gorgeous with the dress on."

half an hour and a glass of wine between the two adults later, they drove to the rink for the competition and hyerin's phone was blowing up with good luck wishes from people she knew. myunghee was texting her saying she was on the way with the two others. meanwhile, dongyoung sent a selfie with him, johnny and mark featured which put a smile on her face.

when they arrived, only her and mr ha were allowed backstage so her uncle went to take a seat in the crowd and she went to get changed and made some last minute adjustments. walking around until it was her turn, she came across myunghee and dongmin.

"oh my god," she gasped. "you look out of this world."

hyerin handed myunghee her phone. "take a pic?"

her friend whipped out her photography skills taking over twenty pictures in a span of a couple of seconds playing around with angles and everything then handed the phone back and gave her a loose hug so her makeup and outfit would stay on. they were both ushered back into the crowd and hyerin was called to start getting ready because she'd be on in a minute. 

after her name was announced along with the song, the curtains revealed her and she took a last deep breath before sliding out onto the stage.

<3

so sorry for this being so late i've just been doing other things and i have some assignments due these next two weeks so i'm trying to focus on them but i will still update (: