25

༊*·˚ fools

afterwards, they all headed back to jaemin's parents' place since they were out of town for the weekend.

lotte world was fun; jisung had won chenle a plush toy from one of those stall games, they'd taken seven polaroid pictures in a booth as it was one for each. hyerin slipped it into the back of her clear phone case.

"guys, i don't think i can sleep over tonight because i have a picnic with my friends tomorrow and i'm in charge of the baking so i'll need to wake up early to get it done. i'm sorry but perhaps maybe next time?" hyerin told the guys when they were all lounging around jaemin's living room.

"ooh, a picnic!" renjun leaned forward.

"with myunghee and dongmin?"

her brows raised in surprise. she didn't expect them to know her friend's names.

"yeah. how do you know them?"

"maybe they actually pay attention to you," mark commented.

jeno laughed his response off so logically so did she.

things were all going well and they were all enjoying themselves in a highly competitive game of uno. yes, uno.

hyerin hadn't felt this happy to be with them in two years. it felt like she'd gone back in time to when things were better but there was a person missing. she frowned when she looked around the table and everyone was there apart from the one she wanted to be there the most.

she was knocked out of her thoughts when there was a doorbell ring and jaemin went to answer.

they didn't expect to see that on the other side of the door.

"hyuck- what the-"

mark and jeno pounced over to him while chenle, jisung and renjun stayed at the table frozen in shock.

donghyuck had been badly beaten up. there was a cut on his bottom lip that had blood trickling down from it, a cut on his cheek, along with a forming bruise and blood dripped down one of his eyebrows, too.

"what happened?"

his breaths were rapid and heavy meaning he'd probably sprinted the way to jaemin's place. his head turned to the guys sat on the table frozen at the sight of their friend.

then, he acknowledged hyerin and his expression remained the same. he held eye contact with her from across the room for some time. his cold stare hadn't changed even though he was visibly exhausted and, if given the chance, he would pass right out in any given place. even in moments like this, his gaze wouldn't stop being as cold as ice.

"donghyuck," jeno gave him a slight nudge on the arm, "speak, man."

contrary to jeno's pleas, donghyuck kept his lips pursed and stormed up the stairs leaving the boys and hyerin sharing concerned looks among themselves.

mark cringed at the sound of the bathroom door slamming closed on top of them.

"did you find out why he wasn't at school today?" chenle questioned jeno.