26

༊*·˚ fools

since hyerin had taken her bandage off, tasks like baking and crochet were much easier. her uncle had already left for work so she had the house to herself.

she was going to make strawberries dipped in chocolate and different flavoured macarons. it occurred to her that she didn't have the almond flour to make them with nor did she have enough chocolate to melt so she slipped her shoes on and went to the convenience store not too far from her place.

there, she also picked up a bag of flaming hot cheetos since she'd eaten the whole bag the week before and they were really good to snack on while doing homework.

while looking around the aisles, she saw someone she hadn't seen in years.

"chani?"

the little girl spun around with fear in her eyes but she relaxed when she saw it was hyerin.

"rin!"

hyerin placed the bag down beside her and chani threw herself at the girl. a second later, she heard sniffles and she pulled away to see chani with tears flowing down her cheeks.

"chani... what's wrong?" hyerin wiped the girl's tears away with her gentle thumb.

"i've missed you so much. you don't come around anymore."

it seemed like donghyuck hadn't told her anything.

chani wiped her own tears. "when can i see you again? actually, take my number." her shaking hands reached into her pocket and she gave hyerin her number.

"are you okay though, chani?" hyerin appeared worried.

the girl was shaking and visibly extremely nervous which wasn't normal for her.

she nodded.

"there you are!"

running footsteps approached them.

"hyerin?"

she turned her attention to the boy that had just arrived.

"sangwon." hyerin's lips curved into a big smile.

"holy shit." the boy dropped what he had in his hand and wrapped his arms around her.

the lee siblings had always really liked hyerin. like donghyuck once upon a time, too.

"when can you come over so i can challenge you to a game of football? i've gotten a lot better the past few years," he stated, proudly.

she chuckled. "some day."

"no but for real, when can you come over again? we both miss you and donghyuck..." he scratched the back of his head. "he's been... different ever since you left."

"different? how?"

sangwon shrugged his shoulders. "like a truck runs him over every morning."

"i can't do anything about that."

"can't you talk to him?" chani questioned. "why don't you guys talk anymore?"