40

༊*·˚ fools

the kids were back to seoul on thursday afternoon and her uncle was there in the school's parking lot ready to pick her up and take her to a sushi bar for dinner. as soon as she stepped into the car, he could sense something was off and he figured he should wait it out before asking her knowing that was the best way to get hyerin to speak about what was bothering her. 

on the way back, she'd sat with the guys like she said she would (not like she had a choice because they were practically begging her) so she sat with them and donghyuck sat in a corner by himself with earphones in and looked out the window the majority of the time and the rest of it he'd fallen asleep. after their argument, only the essential words were exchanged between them like "can you turn off the light, please?" when she wanted to sleep before him. 

this trip was supposed to have made them closer - in an ideal world - but it'd only done the opposite. 

"theses spicy tuna rolls look nice." her uncle started a conversation.

"the tempura ones, too."

they said this while admiring the chef working in front of them as they were sat at the sushi bar.

"do you know what you're going to drink?"

"i was looking at the alcoholic beverages but it is a school night," she mumbled, still looking at the drink variety. 

"i'll let you have one."

her neck never snapped in his direction so quickly in her life. "are you serious?"

he shrugged. "we'll have to share it, though."

she nodded and told him what she wanted. at the same time, the server went over and took their order. 

"hyerin," she faced him after picking at the skin around her nails, "i can tell something is bothering you. alcohol isn't the way to go and you know this and picking at the skin on your nails isn't good either." she stopped. "you don't have to tell me if you don't want to but i am worried about you."

she took a second thinking of a way on how to tell him what'd happened during that fight with donghyuck. there was no other way to say it other than how it happened. 

"i think donghyuck saw what happened with junmin," she explained. 

this most definitely caught his attention and he turned his body to face her. "what do you mean?"

"you know how him and junmin are enemies, right? they can't stand each other and that still applies now. i overheard a conversation with jaemin and him where jaemin said something along the lines of 'you threw away a friendship because you saw her with junmin that night and you don't even know the full story'. the day after it happened was when he started acting strange. i don't know how i didn't piece together that before-" she scoffed, "i feel stupid. we got into an argument because two nights ago i had a nightmare and woke him up then he interrogated me asking what'd happened and when i snapped back at him asking if it was any of his business it went downhill from there."

he pursed his lips into a flat line. "do you trust donghyuck?"

she deflated and thought about it for a few seconds. "no."

"if you did, i would've suggested you tell him what happened."

"what use would that be?" she rolled her eyes. "he probably won't even believe me."

"you never know. you were once best friends, hyerin, he could call out your bullshit in milliseconds back then."

"back then," she emphasised.

he sighed. "but your nightmares? are they getting bad again? did you speak to your therapist about them?"

she shook her head. "not yet. they've become more frequent again and they're scaring me."

"why didn't you tell me anything?"

"you can't do anything about it," she mumbled.

it was true. he couldn't remove the nightmares from her brain. he couldn't delete the memory of it happening from her brain but if he could do anything to not make her go through this pain he would do it without thinking in a heartbeat. there were many times he'd beaten himself up about it happening a lot of the times in secret from her. he felt so guilty even though it had nothing to do with him. he never mentioned it to hyerin but he had to see the therapist at his job for a short-term in order to get his head in control otherwise he feared what could've happened.  

the next day, hyerin walked into school with five hours sleep since the struggled to fall asleep the previous night and that annoyed her considering she was going to need a lot of energy for practice today. it was the pen-ultimate day before the competition and the nerves were starting to kick in but she brushed them aside. 

"good morning!" myunghee jumped up to her with more energy than she would've liked.

"good morning," hyerin mumbled.

myunghee frowned. "what's up with you?"

"i haven't been sleeping well these past couple of days."

the other girl frowned. "you know why?"

hyerin did, myunghee did not and it wasn't something she'd necessarily want to tell her in the middle of a school hallway. 

"yeah. i'm trying to fix the issue so don't worry." hyerin gave her an assuring smile. "anyway, what are you doing after class today?"

"watching you practice for tomorrow, of course."

hyerin arched a brow. "why?"

"why not?"

fair.

the two girls walked in the direction of their class and, when at the door, went to each of their classrooms. 

surprisingly, donghyuck and jaemin were already there - early - which was unusual.

at the end of the day, she went to dongyoung's café since it'd been a while and johnny just so happened to be there at the same time. he informed her that mark was also here but in the bathroom. 

"how do you feel about the competition?"

she nodded. "pretty confident. i'm heading to the skating rink now to practice on the four days i missed out on so i'm kind of in a rush. what have you been up to?"

johnny shrugged. "working, mostly. adult life is boring compared to a students'."

"i'd much rather that than the stress of running around everywhere."

"i miss university."

dongyoung spun around to look at him. "really?" in a tone that suggested he couldn't believe what johnny was saying. "you were having breakdowns every other week. if not every week."

"apart from that, university was pretty good." he turned to hyerin. "if you ever need some advice then you can come to me."

dongyoung handed her the coffee.

"thank you," she said to both. "i'll see you tomorrow?" she questioned dongyoung who nodded.

"and me, too." johnny smiled.

she mirrored his smile and exited the café hoping that she'd arrived before mr ha.

<3

i'm kinda looking forward to writing the climax which is soon