chapter 56- minecraft bed

after i'm finished recording that afternoon, i begrudgingly make my way back to my apartment. i have nothing else to do for the rest of the day, and though i'm feeling a little lonely, i don't want to pester my friends to hang out.

once i get inside the apartment and kick off my shoes, i immediately find myself laying on my bed, scrolling mindlessly through my phone.

at least, it was mindless until i got a notification.

aubreyyxo is live!: playing minecraft come join :D

i smile instinctively as i quickly tap the notification.

i'm greeted with a "stream starting soon" screen (am i really that early?) and soft lofi music playing in the background. after about five minutes, her beautiful face appears on the screen, and i squint my eyes.

i look at aubrey's outfit, which consists of a black knitted sweater on top of a white collared shirt, along with a few layered necklaces. i look down at my own outfit, which is also a dark knitted sweater under a white polo.

i smile so wide my cheeks hurt. it's like it's fate.

"hi chat! hi! how are we today?" she greets cheerily, waving her hands. i can spot the black ring on her left middle finger and take a look at my ring also resting on that same finger.

i type in her chat.

WilburSoot: I'm doing well aubreyyxo how are you

"wilbur!" aubrey says happily. "you're here! i thought you had recording this after- shit. was i not supposed to say that?"

the chat abrupts into panic after she says "recording" and i let out a hearty laugh.

WilburSoot: Well now they know something

WilburSoot: But that's okay. What do you plan on streaming for us today?

aubrey reads my message under her breath and giggles again, which causes me to let out a slight laugh in return. her laughter is so contagious, and it feels good seeing her happy. i can tell streaming brings out the best in her, which is exactly what she needs after what she's recently been through.

"i plan on streaming some minecraft today! i don't know if i wanna play survival or on a server though..." aubrey taps her chin in thought, then suddenly, a light bulb goes off in that wonderful mind of hers. "do you maybe wanna play with me?"

WilburSoot: YES!!!

i backspace the message right before i send it. i sound way too enthusiastic.

WilburSoot: sure why not

i backspace that message. now i sound way too unenthusiastic.

WilburSoot: i am in love with you

i sigh as i delete that message. now i'm just mindlessly typing as my mind tries to think of the perfect way to say yes.

"okay, if you're gonna give me the silent treatment then forget it! i revoke my offer." aubrey turns her chin away from her face cam and lets out a loud "hmph." this makes me freak out as i frantically type.

WilburSoot: MY PC IS LOADING PLEASE WAIT FOR ME

good job, wilbur. you took forever to respond because you didn't want to sound pathetic and desperate, but this is your worst response yet.

aubrey laughs loudly as she reads my message. at least she doesn't think anything of my outburst.

"alright alright! jesus!" she raises her hands, as if admitting defeat, as she waits for me to log on.