chapter 78- trust

tw // mentions of manipulation, depression

one month later, the day of the concert

"aubrey!" i call from outside the bathroom door. "you almost done? we're gonna be late." i check my watch and raise my eyebrows. even later than i had anticipated.

"i'm almost- there!" aubrey opens the door and shows off her outfit, a tight black dress and black boots. i blush at the sight.

"you look stunning. as per usual," i tell her as i pull her close and kiss the top of her head. she giggles as she adjusts my collared shirt.

"you don't look too bad yourself. now come on, you said we're gonna be late, right?" i nod swiftly and take her hand, leading her to the car.

i drive a few too many miles per hour over the speed limit the whole time, much to aubrey's dismay. she scolds me and begs me to slow down the entire time, but i just laugh.

"can't handle the speed?" i ask through a chuckle.

"no i can't!" aubrey shouts, holding tightly onto her seatbelt.

"come on, i'm barely over the speed limit." i stop at a red light.

"you were going 93 on the freeway."

"so?"

"the speed limit is SUPPOSED to be 60. 70 at most."

"don't be a wimp. you're still alive, so who cares?" she whacks my arm lightly.

"screw you."

"screw your boyfriend."

"wilbur!" aubrey gasps as she turns to me with wide eyes. i laugh even harder.

"i was kidding! jeez!"

aubrey looks down, and scrolls through her phone for a bit.

ever since that little... outburst (is that what i should call it?) that happened last month, she's been very wrapped up in her phone. i'm not entirely sure why, and i try not to question it, since it severely pushed her off the edge last time i tried. our lives been going a bit more smoothly, but she still seems a lot more distant than usual. i just hope this concert will bring us closer again.

we finally make it to the outdoor concert and dash to check our tickets in. thanks to my professional (and definitely not reckless) driving, we made it in the nick of time.

we get our tickets and head to the viewing area, eagerly awaiting the singer to come on stage. while we're waiting, i think i spot a familiar head of blonde hair, but i rub my eyes and it's gone.

am i going crazy?

and just like that, the lights dim down and aubrey grabs my arm.

"it's starting!" she squeals. i smile and nod at her enthusiasm.

and then he's on stage. alec benjamin at his london show.

a beat starts playing, and i realize the show is beginning.

well i shook hands with the devil

down on the south side

and he bought us both a drink

with a pad and a pencil sat by his side

i said "tell me what you think"

i've been looking for my savior, looking for my truth

i even asked my shrink

he brought me down to his level

said "son, you're not special