chapter 71- twitter simps

"do you wanna stay the night?" i ask as i bite into the cheese pizza that aubrey and i ordered.

"stay the night? like..." aubrey asks nervously. i nearly gag on the pizza.

"not like that! that's not what i meant!" i attempt to cover myself up as the two of us turn bright red. "just like a sleepover! like we had that one time!"

i'm an hour into officially being aubrey's boyfriend, and we're already both awkward and nervous wrecks.

couple goals, am i right?

"oh! sorry... i wasn't sure if... you know..." aubrey rubs the back of her next awkwardly as she looks at the floor.

"it's okay. that's just... no. not that." i laugh nervously and aubrey smiles.

"well, i'd love to have a sleepover," she says. "i don't have anything to do in the morning, anyway."

"me neither. i have a meeting in the afternoon, but that's it."

"meeting for what?"

"lovejoy. we're finalizing the ep and then setting a definite release date."

"are you gonna tell your fans? about the release date?"

"yup."

"that's amazing! i'm very excited for you, wil. and i'm very excited to listen to the songs again."

i've already played the songs for aubrey, and she seems to love all of them.

"actually, since we're on the topic of lovejoy, i have been meaning to ask you something," aubrey brings up reluctantly.

"ask away."

"this might sound weird but... that first song on the ep. who is it about?"

"uhh, which one is that again?"

"oh yeah, you gonna cry?"

my mouth forms into a straight line. of course she's caught onto that.

"i think you know who it's about," i say as i take both of our empty paper plates and throw them away.

"i think i do, too. but i want to confirm before i jump to conclusions and embarrass myself."

"it's about you, aubs."

"and alex?"

"and alex."

"why?"

well, that wasn't the question i expected her to ask.

i expected her to say something like "those lyrics were a bit harsh, don't you think?" or "aren't you worried about how alex will react?" or even "can you take that song out? it's kinda weird that you wrote a song about my ex-boyfriend and me." 

not "why?"

"why'd i write it?" i ask.

"mhm," aubrey nods.

"well... you know i had a crush on you since mcc. and i was just... jealous of alex. because you were with him, and i didn't think you'd ever be with me. so i wrote that song out of spite for him, while also using it as a way to express my feelings for you in a song."

aubrey looks at me with admiration, which is just about the last look i thought she'd give me. i thought she'd be annoyed or disappointed with how petty i was. seems like i'm doing a pretty shitty job with reading this situation.

"you're so cute," she says as she adjusts her pajamas (which consists of the leggings she was previously wearing and one of my white t-shirts, which is way too big on her).