chapter 59- picnic

the atmosphere of the cafe changes as i finally come to terms with my feelings. it feels like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders.

niki's right. the only person that kept me from understanding my feelings was myself. but i'm ready to change that.

"what should i do?" i ask niki halfway through our meals.

"what do you WANT to do?" niki flips the question. i sigh.

"i want to tell him, you know. i want to tell him i like him but i don't want to screw everything up."

niki laughs as she reaches across the table and strokes my hand.

"you keep making me laugh, aubrey." she smiles warmly. "come on, telling him would not ruin anything at all. in fact, it will make everything better. trust me on this."

and for some reason, i believe her.

∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘

wilbur's pov

it's been a pretty blissful week.

i've been talking to aubrey consistently this entire week. we haven't met up face to face since we had that little sleepover, but i don't even mind. we call every day for hours at a time, stream together consistently, and text until ungodly hours of the night.

not to mention my flirting is now reciprocated. that might be the best part.

all is well.

while i'm sitting at my computer sending in videos to my editor elodie, my phone starts ringing. i take a look at the caller.

incoming facetime call: aub-dawg

i instinctively smile as i immediately pick up. the call loads for a minute before aubrey's face fills my entire screen.

"hey you," i greet. "how's it going?"

"pretty great, how about you?" she responds.

"i'm good. just sending some files to my editor."

"ooh, you're uploading a video?"

"yup."

"what's the video?"

"an old video of me and tommy speedrunning minecraft. i haven't posted in a long time, so i figured this would suffice."

"i'm sure it will. the fans will eat up anything you give them." i laugh slightly.

aubrey props her phone up and lays on her bed, watching me send my video to elodie. we sit in comfortable silence for a while before aubrey speaks again.

"i miss you," she says sweetly. my stomach starts doing somersaults and a grin creeps across my face.

"we talked yesterday, aubs," i reply, still smiling like an idiot as i look down at my phone at her face. she's also smiling.

"that's not what i meant. i meant like... i miss seeing you. do you wanna hang out again?"

"of course. when?"

"uhhh..." aubrey goes on pause, probably scrolling through her calendar. "how free is your sunday?"

"completely open."

"so sunday?"

"sunday works perfectly."

"awesome. what place works?"

i rack my brain for ideas, until one pops into my head.

"i'll pick you up at noon."

"wilbur? where are we going?"