Chapter 1: The museum robbery

George POV.

The sound of alarms could make anyone go deaf, especially if you were standing right underneath one. I however have grown insensitive to the sound over the years, after hundreds of times being exposed to the alarm it was more just like the hum of an insect, annoying but not unbearable.

I gleaned around the empty museum but couldn’t see anybody around. I headed past the giant sculpture centrepiece and towards the gem exhibition. There have been clear signs of chaos, smashed vases and tables, and several portraits and pictures ripped from the wall. However there were no signs of people yet and so I was on edge.

My eyes narrowed as I reached up to my glasses, which was the best part of my supersuit. I quickly tapped the side of my glasses twice and it instantly turned to infrared. Now this was making my job much easier to see people. Along the carpeted floors were five sets of recent footprints, and when I looked in the direction of the gems I saw the outlines of five people too.

Two of the people seemed to be grabbing what I could only assume to be some of the rare diamonds on display. The third was doing something in the middle of the room with a bit of machinery, I could only assume that they were drilling a hole in the floor to escape since it was common knowledge that the museum was built directly over the maze of sewers under the city.

The last two people were kneeling on the ground, seemingly hostages, once I had this information I switched out of infrared and began talking into my com. “Techno I found them.” I told the other hero. “Three criminals and two hostages. Should I try and take them alone or wait for you?”

“You can go ahead Gogy,” another voice that wasn’t Techno’s responded.
“Jacobs, what the hell, you aren’t meant to be on the comms.” I grumbled quietly. I don't know why Karl's hero name was another normal sounding name, but here we are. “You were injured and are meant to be resting right now. Also why are you calling me Gogy? You know that that is not my name.”

“But Gogy sounds so much better than the hero name ‘404’ I mean who refers to themselves as numbers?” Karl questioned.
“And who refers to themselves by their last name?” I snapped back. “Everybody in the city probably knows who you are.”

“Can you two stop fighting?” Bad asked quietly. “I am trying to focus and I can’t do that if you two muffins are yelling at each other through the ear piece.”
“Bad’s right.” Techno responded. “You two stop arguing. Either way Gogy you can go ahead and try and take them down. Bad and I are rounding people up but I can send him in to help.”

“I will be fine.” I reassured the pinkette. “But why are you calling me Gogy now?”
“Jacob’s right with the numbers thing. Names should not be numbers. Now hurry up and go.” He instructed.

At his words I continued heading along the hallway, keeping close to the wall and my hand trailed down to the sheath around my belt and grabbed my escrima sticks. Which were electrified and made of polymer. I held them tightly, being ready to attack anyone that comes my way.

I slowed down and crouched low to the ground when I reached the entrance to the gem exhibition. The lights were all off and I was masked in shadow, before peering into the room to see the crooks.

When I looked into the room I saw two people kneeling with their backs to me, those would be the hostages. One henchman, dressed in a distinctive light blue outfit, was in the middle of the room, using a drill to plan the escape. There was another henchman holding a bag standing beside the ringmaster of this operation.

Speaking of the ringmaster of this operation, he was examining all of the gems in the exhibition, breaking the casing and examining each of the jewels before putting them in the bag. I’ve had to fight him several times, he was a major criminal in this city who went by the name of Skeppy, his only weakness was his obsession with shiny things.