Chapter 36 : breakdown

George POV.

I didn't mean to get distracted by the thoughts of my past, usually I never got too distracted by them. Usually I was able to hold back all thoughts of what had happened to me, of what had happened to my family. And of the terrible things that I had done when I got to L'manburg, before I had met Techno and Philza and they taught me to control my power.

Upon remembering all of those things I practically broke down. Memories of my old life, of what had happened to me back before I took up the name 404, before I took up the name George Davidson. Back then when I went by George Harris.

I had been on the verge of tears as those memories came crashing back like a flood. I shoved all of the files away, back into their drawer without bothering to look over any of the other details by now and I fell onto the floor.

For a while I stayed crying on the floor, trying to calm myself down but every time I did I'd be reminded of what had happened. The stealing for food. The cold nights on the street. The men and women who'd offer me money, back before I was wise enough to know what they would try to do to me in return, what they wanted to do to a kid who was 17 when they were in their old ages.

Suddenly the door was opened and the familiar blond walked into the room, back from wherever he had been. I didn't look at him, but he seemed surprised to see me crying and walked over to me after he shut the door. "What happened my darling?" He asked, sounding surprisingly sincere for how the criminal usually acted.

"It's nothing." I whimpered, I lied, "just a bad dream is all." I let out a surprised yelp as Dream pulled me closer to him and pulled me onto his lap.
"What happened in your dream?" He asked, and I was cautious about telling him. I knew I'd have to come up with an excuse.

When I hesitated, Dream ran his hand through my hair. "You know you can tell me anything and I'd look after you right?" I tensed, knowing that if he knew what I was worried about I would definitely not be looked after.
"Nothing." I said quietly, and the blond sighed as the word left my mouth.

"Fine. It can be nothing. Nothing is a perfectly fine answer." Dream said, pulling me up onto the bed. I gulped, fearing what he'd do since I wasn't telling him something. The blond subverted my expectations when he pulled me into a hug. "God today was stressful," he muttered out with a sigh as he laid with me.

"What happened today that made it stressful?" I tentatively asked him, and he turned to look at me. I could tell our eyes were meeting even though he was wearing his mask.
"Annoying teenagers." He huffed, "I hate those spoiled brats who think they can get away with doing or saying anything. I am glad I put some of them in their place. However I did also-"

I gulped at what he said about the teenagers, and Dream seemed to notice this as he ran his fingers through my hair in an attempt to calm me. "They deserved it darling. Trust me." I nodded at his words although I hated doing that. I am meant to be here to figure out about Dream and whatever he is planning, but I could take down the killer of these teenagers right now.

Dream stilled his movements after a while and I let out a shaky breath. "You hate having people watch you, don't you?" He asked, catching me off guard.
"What do you mean by that?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow at the sociopath.
"You hate having my henchmen hanging around watching you, don't you?" Dream asked.

"Yeah I guess I hate that." I muttered. "I wish I had a little more privacy."
The blond nodded. "Well, I could teach you to defend yourself. Plus an assistant might be useful. If you wanted a well paying job, with... perks."
I opened my mouth to respond, before Dream was distracted by his phone ringing.

"What is it? I am in the middle of something important." Dream said, not in the friendliest form of greeting. He was silent for a moment as he got a response before his agitated face turned into a smirk. "Really? Good to know." He continued, a smile appearing on his face.

"I can come down now to greet him if you want." Dream said after another couple moments of silence. Another couple seconds passed before Dream hung up without a word and he turned to look at me.
"This entire day was a success," he exclaimed happily, and I tilted my head in confusion.

"We managed to smuggle in what we needed. This is good, it is going to help us take down Technoblade. Then we are down to only needing to deal with two heroes." I let out a small gulp as Dream stood up and I followed suit. The two of us headed into the hallway and Dream led me down a series of hallways.

As we walked we passed Sapnap, and Dream stopped walking to talk to him. "Hey Sapnap," he greeted in a scarily friendly tone. "How was your day?"
The ravenette seemed to almost be in a dreamy state, practically gushing over something and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"It was fine." He said, "stole some stuff, set fire to some stuff, the usual."
"You sound sick." The blond stated, and Sapnap's grin only widened.
"I'm sick with something alright." He continued to gush, before apparently breaking out of his dazy state. "I need to get ready for a date," he said excitedly. "I'll see you guys later."

He sprinted off in the direction of his room and me and Dream watched him leave. "Well that was weird." I said, before realising that I had said it out loud. I had meant to say that in my head.
"Agreed." Dream muttered, "maybe he found another hookup or something. However he never seems this nervous and flustered."

"Do you know Sapnap well?" I questioned, not even sure why I asked it but I did.
Dream hummed. "The two of us met when we were kids. However, he has never been like that before." I continued staring down the hallway before noticing that Dream was starting to walk again.

It was a long and quiet walk, heading through hallways, passing the occasional group of henchmen which were joking around until they saw Dream when they instead stood to attention as though they were in the military. Dream eventually led me downstairs where there was a crowd of people gathered around, most of which I recognized from the Casino.

We were just in time to witness a mail van driving inside the building. It wasn't an actual mailvan, I noticed upon closer inspection. More like an armoured tank. But if it was driving down crowded roads people think it would just be another mail vehicle to take letters and packages to and from the city.

I took a cautious step back as the driver's door opened and Quackity stepped out of the cab along with his assistant, the guy with the glasses, stepping out of the other door. Both were dressed up as postmen, and gave us a scandalous smile as they walked over to the back door of the armoured van.

The doors of the mail van could only be opened on the outside. So the entire group gathered around as Quackity opened the door, with me hanging back slightly out of fear. We all watched as the door opened to reveal a person standing there.
_________________________________________
1325 words