Chapter 25: the flame

Karl POV.

Techno dragged Tommy into the room as the blond yelled out protests and was pushed onto the couch. Bad and I watched what was happening as we stayed sitting there, knowing not to interfere in this family quarrel. Philza was standing in the room and ran over when the blond was sitting on the couch and stared down at him for a moment.

“Do you know how worried I was that you left without telling me?” He asked, as though he was talking to an eight year old instead of a seventeen year old. “Someone could have figured out who we all were and taken you as a hostage.

“I am seventeen bitch! I am a big man and do not need to tell you where I am if I decide to go out.” Tommy responded, crossing his arms as he glared at his father. “Anyway, Ranboo, Tubbo, and I were alright Phil. We’d have been fine.”

“What if a criminal found you though?” Philza asked. “What if Dream found you for example, he took you and was planning on killing you and George found out. He’d have to blow his cover to save you and all of you could end up dead.”
“I doubt that would happen.” Tommy muttered.

“You, Ranboo, and Tubbo have no powers, plus minimal training, and you are way too stupid to be a hero.” Techno pointed out, crossing his arms as he stared down at his younger brother.
“So?” Tommy asked. “I don’t need powers. I can be like Batman, or Iron Man, and Ranboo and Tubbo can be my sidekicks.”

Techno let out a chuckle. “You can’t be like Batman because he is scary, and you can’t be like Iron Man because he is smart, you are just whiny and annoying.” Tommy’s face fell in an expression of confusion at the fact that his brother had said that.

Bad and I watched as the family continued their argument, before deciding to leave. We walked out of the room to go do something else. We walked out of the main room to the armoury, and decided to suit up and go out and patrol the city. We removed our supersuits from their stands and casing and took a minute to get changed.

Since the two of us didn’t want to go past the family who were probably having the same talk about the dangers and responsibilities of being a superhero, I teleported us out of the building. I grabbed Bad’s arm and in a swift movement teleported the two of us onto the roof of a flash hotel a few blocks away from where our hideout was.

The two of us settled down on the roof of the building which towered above most of the other buildings in the area, making it a great vantage point. Usually one of the team would scope out the city every night from a building like this one, but Bad and I were finding spending the day up here would be okay.

I wandered over to the edge of the roof and stood on top of the ledge, looking down and seeing the street almost five hundred feet below me, the people looked tiny from up here. The noise was still the same, the sound of car tires and yelling, police sirens wailing as a car chase was most likely happening, the stench of piss which was ever present in the city.

Living in a city such as this was disgusting, but I couldn’t leave knowing all the crime that was here, all the innocent people who died on a daily basis because of the sociopathic scum who chose to live here. My eyes trailed between watching the people on the street, travelling around and minding their business, and the buildings which stretched out to the horizon.

My eyes furrowed as I noticed something in the distance, a column of smoke towering in the sky, barely noticeable between several tall skyscrapers to our left but definitely there. “Hey Bad check this out.” I said, pointing in the direction of the smoke, “should we go check it out.”

Usually fires were the job of the fire department, I mean it was in their names and otherwise what was the point of all the firefighters that this city employed. However there wasn’t anything to do and I was feeling quite bored. Bad’s eyebrows furrowed under his mask as he thought it over. He had been fighting crime longer than I had and I wanted to know what he thought.

“We could go.” He said with a hum, “we can just go have a look, if the fire department doesn’t have it handled we can step in.” I nodded and grabbed his arm, teleporting him again in the direction of where the flames were. I was anxious since I didn’t know where exactly the fire was, and we might end up teleporting right into it.

I felt the familiar feeling of my organs and bones practically melting away before snapping back into place a few minutes later. Bad seemed quite dizzy, and I let go of him so he could regain his balance while I walked to the edge of the roof to see the fire which was destroying a building across the street.

The flames were eating up everything inside and I saw no sign of the fire department. It was a library which meant that the inside was probably very flammable. My eyes narrowed as I saw a sign of movement from inside the window, not just the flames but a person. I couldn’t tell from where I was who they were or how old they were, and I knew I had to act.

Without waiting for Bad I teleported down to the ground, since teleporting into a burning building would not be a good idea. Then I threw open one of the wooden doors and ran inside without a second thought. The synthetic-fibre suit was made of heat resistant materials and so I wasn’t at as much risk as I normally would be, but it was still undeniably hot.

“Hello, is somebody in there?” I asked, I don’t know why I asked that because if someone was coughing up smoke they probably wouldn’t answer. I was thankful that the smoke wouldn’t get into my eyes because of the mask but still as I walked through it I tried to keep low to the ground to avoid as much smoke as possible.

There was no sign of anyone, so I called out again. “If anyone is there I am Jacobs, the superhero.” My mouth was exposed and so I tried not to let smoke into my mouth as I spoke. “If you can hear me I am coming to help you. Try and come in the direction of my voice so we can get you out of here.”

Flames made my eyes squint shut so my vision, which was already worsening because of the smoke, was getting a lot worse. However I continued to walk around and tried to see if someone else was there. I was getting ready to go back outside to find Bad when I saw movement in front of me. I stepped around a flaming bookshelf and walked towards them.

“Hello?” I questioned. “I am here to help you get out of here.” I didn’t know what else to say and saw the person stop walking around and seemingly look in my direction.
“That is very kind of you.” The masculine voice responded, “but I am not the one who will be needing help, hero.” I barely even registered what was happening as he lunged at me.
_________________________________________
1311 words

Wow I wonder who that is. Definitely isn't babe magnet. Why would he start a fire and kidnap a submissive and breedable hero?