Chapter 22: can't even have lunch without eyes on me

Just wanted to say, chapter 20 (called 404 was found) a lot of you made guesses as to what happened at the end. Some of you saying George got tortured, others saying Tubbo or Wilbur got tortured.

Just wanted to clear it up, that was just a random person. No need to worry about any of you favourite youtubers

(For now)
_________________________________________
George POV.

It was about 10am when I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, which was strange since I had put my phone on silent. I groaned as I sat up and grabbed it to see that Dream was calling me. “Hello?” I said quietly, still not fully awake as I answered.

“Morning Georgie.” His voice made it seem like he had just woken up at the same time I did, however knowing about his police reports I doubted he slept, he probably just drank tons of coffee. “I have a meeting today and was wondering if you wanted to come along.”
“A meeting?” I questioned, “what is the meeting for?”

“Plans darling.” Dream told me. “Big plans which will change the city. My friends and I will rule it, and you will rule alongside me.” I recognised his manipulative tone but didn’t make any sort of reaction, not wanting to tip him off about anything. “I have someone else who I want you to meet who is involved. However he won’t be in town for a couple more days at least.”

“Who?” I asked, knowing that if Dream had another ally which he told me about I could pass the information onto Philza for him, the team, and the police.
“Just a friend from out of town.” Was his response. “I think that you and him might get along though. Can I pick you up from your apartment at lunch?”

“Sorry Dream.” I responded, “I have other plans for lunch. You can pick me up later though.” If he didn’t know I was having lunch with Philza, my father, then it probably meant he hadn’t been going through my messages or calls. That or he wanted to see if I would lie to him or not.
“What are your plans for lunch?” He asked suspiciously. “Who are you going to be with?”

“It’s nobody important Dream, you don’t need to worry.” I knew that if he tried to tell me I couldn’t have lunch with Philza I could easily ignore him, but I didn’t want that to happen because he might not let me get as close to him if I am not loyal to him. I shivered at the thought of being loyal to Dream but managed to focus enough to listen to what he said.

“You have to take two of my men at least to watch you. I will not let you go with people I do not know or trust.” He said firmly, as though he was a parent finding out his child was planning to do something he didn’t approve of.
“I am just going to lunch with my father.” I reassured him. “I won’t get hurt with him.”

Dream seemed like he didn’t like the fact of me having lunch with Philza, and let out audible grumbles from through the other side of the phone. “Fine.” He eventually said, “tell me where and I will send a car to pick you up afterwards.” Still sounds like a protective parent.

I reassured him that I would before hanging up the phone. Before I turned the device off I noticed it was only on 10%, so I sent a small electric charge through my hand, and watched as the phone switched to static for a moment before the screen flickered up to 78%. I was satisfied with that and dropped the phone onto my new, comfortable bed, heading to shower.

Philza and I had planned to meet at the Split Bean Cafe at 11:30am, which was about one hour and twenty minutes away. I knew the cafe was a thirty minute walk so I could have a shower, have something to eat, and then I could relax for a while before I needed to leave to meet up with the blond.

An hour and a half later

The cafe was across the road and when I noticed that the lights were red I ran across the road, ducking and dodging between cars as I did. Philza was sitting at a table outside, a warm puffer jacket on and his nose slightly red from the cold. He had watched me run across the road and raised an eyebrow at me.

“That wasn’t very safe George, you could have gotten hurt.” He said in a monotone voice, which I think he must have learnt off of Techno.
“Sorry Dad.” I muttered with an eye roll, sitting down opposite him and crossing my legs over each other as I took a moment to adjust to the cold metal chair I was on in the middle of Winter.

Why the fuck did I wear shorts? Why is it so cold today? And why did Philza choose to sit out here? Okay, so I know the answer to the last one was so we wouldn’t be overheard as easily but it was still annoying and I wanted to complain about it.

“How have you been?” I asked him, deciding to have a small conversation before I was going to tell him what I had figured out. I didn’t pay attention to Philza as he responded. Instead I looked around to make sure that nobody was listening or trying to listen to our conversation, and unfortunately it seemed like people were.

The outside seating of this cafe was separated from the street. We could see people walk past and could access the seating area from the street, but there was glass railing as a way of ‘neatening up the place’. Most of the people who came close were walking past the tables and directly into the cafe through the side entrance.

However there was a pair of men dressed in suits who were sitting two tables away from us, both drinking a glass of water with ice despite the cold weather. One was reading the newspaper and the other was on his phone, with them glancing over at us occasionally.

I honestly think they look identical to the pair who had been spying on me a couple of days ago, but I know that can’t be true because Dream shot one of the pair in front of me. I managed to ignore them and go back to my conversation with Philza.

We only paused our conversations briefly to head inside and buy something to eat. Once we had been given our food the two of us drew our casual conversations to a close and I decided to pass on some of the information that I found out from Dream over the past 48 hours. “You know,” I began, “there is a new person moving here who is starting at my work…” I said nonchalantly.

“Really?” Philza responded, trying to sound as casual as possible as he stopped eating so he could pay attention to what I was saying better. “What is he like?”
“I’m not sure.” I said. “I haven’t met him yet but he’s from outside of L’manburg. I will try to get to know him. He seems interesting.”

“He does.” The older man hummed, stopping to take another bite of his food. “Do you know anything else about him?” He asked, and I just shook my head.
Over the course of lunch I continued to slip him some small details of what Dream told me in what seemed like casual conversation, which admittedly wasn’t very much, but he understood everything that I told him.

We cleared both of our plates and then talked for a while longer, with Philza occasionally glancing at his watch to keep track of the time. When we were both ready to leave, Philza remembered something. “Oh, this was your computer case, since you left it at my house the last time you were over.” He said as he passed a computer case over to me.

He stood up and pulled me into a hug, a final way of selling the ‘father and son’ display. As he held me close he leaned into my ear and whispered some more information to me. “There is a phone if you need to talk without being monitored, there is twenty thousand dollars in an anonymous account and it’ll top up if you get below five thousand.”

Then he pulled away and I smiled. “Thank you for coming to lunch with me dad.” I smiled, swinging the bag over my shoulder as I stepped back. “I’ll see you around.” With that we walked out towards the street and parted ways, him walking left in the direction of our headquarters, and me walking right in the direction of the shitty safe house I was staying in.

I walked about two or three blocks before a limousine rolled to a stop beside me. I didn’t bother to stop until someone stepped out of the passenger seat and called my name as he walked after me.
_________________________________________
1543 words