Chapter 75: done

Sorry for the late upload. Also I getting near the end of the story. Any current predictions for how it will end?
_________________________________________
George POV.

I obviously didn’t believe it when Karl told me what happened. “You’re wrong.” I told him in response, shaking my head. “There is no way that Technoblade is dead. He’s… he’s...”
“Unkillable?” My best friend finished for me, before sighing lightly as he sat beside me on the bed. “I thought that too.”

“Exactly. He has way too many powers, he’d have been prepared for something like this. Techno always is.” I tried listing off reasons that Technoblade couldn’t be dead but Karl shook his head.
“I tried telling myself all of those things too, but I saw him getting shot and falling into the water with my own eyes.”

“If he fell then he could have swam off.” I responded hopefully, although I didn’t believe it. The taller brunette told me several times that Techno had been restrained to his chair with steel chains, meaning that he couldn't move his legs or arms and that Karl couldn’t teleport him away.

There was only a shake of the head from my best friend and we settled into silence. After a few minutes of silence I couldn’t help but let out a sob. “Why didn’t you come and get me? I could have helped you get him out,” I muttered quietly, and Karl gave me an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry,” he whimpered. “I should have come to you. Now Technoblade’s dead and it’s my fault. Everyone who didn’t hate me before probably hates me now.”
My expression immediately fell when I realised how upset he was and I immediately moved to pull him into a hug. I may have felt bad but he was no doubt feeling worse, he witnessed it happening.

I tried to reassure him that actually, it wasn’t his fault. He wasn’t responsible for Techno’s death and then I ended up pulling him down onto the bed and allowed him to cry on me, comforting him a lot. The two of us were sitting there for ages, with me having to comfort my best friend as he kept rambling incoherently about how it was all his fault and that he was sorry.

Karl had always been scared of death, well most people were, but it was a lot worse for him. It seemed that death always followed him around, and that thought made him terrified. His father died before he was born, his mother died giving birth, his grandparents put him up for adoption when his grandfather got cancer, and his foster family could be verbally abusive.

His father, or at least his foster father, worked at a lab testing products on animals. Since the other members of Karl’s foster family also worked, my friend spent a lot of his childhood there outside of school. He doesn’t remember how exactly, but one day a mix of chemicals spilled on him and that gave him powers.

As he grew older his older foster siblings, a pair of girls called Amy and Jen, often took Karl out with them. One day the pair of them got drunk and still decided it was safe to drive home, Karl told me he knew about them being drunk and didn’t warn them. He recounted the fact that it had been late, and dark, and cold, and the pair of girls ended up swerving in front of another car.

They were so wasted they didn’t seem to realise what had happened, but Karl did. In a sudden panic he had teleported onto the side of the road and witnessed the crash. Even though he had a neglectful foster family he still cared about the two girls who treated him nicely, and he blamed himself for not being able to use his newfound power to protect them.

Obviously the family was traumatised when they found their perfect daughters mangled in a car accident, and livid when they found out Karl had a way to get them out but didn’t even try to save them. They had beaten him, kicked him out, and called the cops, wanting Karl to be arrested as the person responsible for their daughters’ death.

It was lucky that one of the officers knew Techno and Philza. The officer called them and they took Karl in. However since that day he’s always hated himself when he wasn’t able to stop someone from dying, often locking himself in his room and starving himself.

After he came to tell me what happened I knew he was going to do the same thing, and I knew that I couldn’t be around him all the time to make sure he does eat and drink and sleep and stay healthy. So I planned on hopefully coaxing my friend to sleep before telling Sapnap how he was going to act, to give him information in advance.

Foolish POV.

I let out a relieved sigh as I slid the capsule shut. Now I was holding an active bomb. My hands were shaking slightly and I hesitated before calling Punz over. He reluctantly stood up and walked over to me, seeming annoyed that he had to stand up.
“What?” He asked, standing facing me on the opposite side of the bars.

“Well I finished making the… uh bomb. You said that when it is done you will let me go.” I said, trying not to look too hopeful.
There were a few long minutes of Punz examining the bomb from the other side of the cage before grabbing his phone to call someone.

Punz walked away as he was talking, meaning that I didn’t know what he was saying. So while I was waiting for him to return I slumped on the bed and laid down, thinking about seeing Ponk and Sam again. The pair of them were probably worried half to death about me.

It was clear I wanted to see them both, and at their memories I allowed a smile to appear on my face and hoped that I wasn’t caught by any of the henchmen in the room. A few minutes later I heard Punz’s talking getting louder again and I looked up to see a brunette walking with him.

“I hear that you have finished my bomb Dr Gamers.” The mysterious brunette stated, and I narrowed my eyes as I looked over at him. He had a thick British accent and a sly looking smirk.
“Yes I have. I want to see my friends now. That was the deal Dream made. So how will I-”
“Does it work?” I was cut off by his question.

He opened the door of the cage I’d been locked in and grabbed the bomb that I made. I sat up slightly from the uncomfortable bed and looked over at him. “I am certain that it does work.” I said awkwardly, averting my gaze. "I have been told by Punz that my family would be killed if it doesn't."
“You are confident that it does?” The brunette asked, and I just nodded.

“Good, well I don’t want your good work to go to waste.” The man said. “So you are going to be there to witness it going off.” At his words I froze, before seeing a malicious grin spread on Punz’s face as the still unnamed man gave him the order to grab me.
_________________________________________
1242 words