Chapter 26: taken

Bad POV.

I was standing on the roof of the building feeling dizzy after another teleport from Karl. I have been teleported around by him a lot but that muffinhead forgets how nauseous it makes people when he teleports them far distances in a small amount of time.

By the time I finally regained my balance and felt that I wasn’t going to be sick all over this rooftop I looked over to where Karl had been standing, only to see he was gone. Immediately I knew he had gone into the flaming building, and ran over to the edge of the rooftop to look at it, hoping he might still be outside.

“That stupid muffinhead.” I muttered when I realised he had gone inside. I didn’t like to call my friends something as mean as ‘stupid’ but I felt it was fitting. Why would he run into a burning building? That is a stupid thing to do.

A crowd was gathering around the front of the burning library, keeping far enough back so that they wouldn’t get hit if the building collapsed or if embers went into the air. Some of them were filming what was happening on their phones, while others were calling the fire department.

To make sure none of them got hurt I jumped off of the roof of the building. The shock from landing on the ground used to make my legs buckle from the pain, and it took me a while to get used to it, now though I landed and walked straight over to the group. When people noticed me they turned their attention away from the flames, deciding I was cooler to look at.

When people noticed me they parted for me to walk through them, a lot of them turned their cameras in my direction to take photos or videos for their social media. For a few minutes I scanned the front of the building, looking for any sign of the brunette, or anyone else in the flames, however I couldn’t see anything.

It would be pointless to look for him in the flames, and there wasn’t even any guarantee he had actually run in there since I didn’t see him enter. So instead of running in there and risking the lives of more people I just waited around, looking for any sign of the teleporter but not being able to see him.

When the fire department finally arrived I left, or at least the civilians and the fire department thought that I left. In actuality I had just headed onto the roof of one of the buildings beside the  burning library and waited. I waited for a few minutes, staring down at the building wreckage to see if Karl was anywhere around here.

But when the flames were doused and the fire department did a sweep for casualties they didn’t find anyone. When they began taping off the building to make sure nobody went near it I jumped down and investigated the building myself. Sadly I didn’t find anyone either and that’s when I began freaking out.

Once I’d gotten out of the area I tried contacting Karl through his comms, but he didn’t answer at all, which freaked me out more. Then I had to resort to calling Techno. Tears were pouring down my face at the thought of Karl missing when I could have kept him safe. I am such a terrible superhero.

Karl POV.

I don’t know when I fell asleep, I didn’t remember how either. All that I knew was when I woke up I felt uncomfortable. My eyes squinted shut as I felt my arms above my head, but when I tried to move them they were stuck firmly in place. At the realisation my eyes opened in surprise and I found myself chained up inside of a dark warehouse.

I was suspended high enough above the ground that I had to struggle to feel the rough stone flooring beneath my feet. Immediately I tried to teleport out of this position but found myself unable to. I glared up at the chains and figured they must be made of steel. Why must I have such a terrible weakness?

I let out a small sigh of relief as I noticed that my supersuit was still on, meaning that nobody knew who I was, but the question is who was holding me here. My question was answered as I lowered my gaze to see a familiar ravenette walking around talking to his henchmen who were all dressed in black hoodies, as though they were teenagers instead of criminals.

Sapnap spun around to see me tied up and he smirked. “Finally you’re awake Jacobs.” He said happily. As he walked towards me I noticed he was holding a lighter in his hand, he flicked the lid open, before snapping it shut with a few seconds between each action. I just scowled at him, not saying anything.

It didn’t seem like Sapnap was actually expecting a response so he continued. “Honestly I am surprised you chose to run into a burning building. It was selfless, and noble, and completely fucking stupid.” He let out a small chuckle at his words.
“Cut the chit chat,” I growled, “what do you want? Why did you take me!”

“Because, you are going to be dead in a few weeks time anyway, why couldn’t I just take you and kill you now?” My eyebrows furrowed at his words. I had heard about what George told Phil, about how a new, possibly worse criminal was being snuck into the city, and that he was probably going to be trying to kill us (nothing new there) so I expected it had to do with that.

Still Sapnap and his goons wouldn’t know that I knew that, so I acted confused. “What do you mean I’m going to be dead in a few weeks time?!” I asked. “What are you planning on doing!?” I didn’t receive an answer, instead he walked over to a table and began looking over its contents.

My eyes widened when I saw the dozens of tools used for torture laid out neatly and perfectly, and all of them clean and ready to use. I gulped as I watched his hand trailing over every item in front of him. There were pliers, scalpels, tweezers, and other metal items which could all be used as murder weapons.

As the ravenette’s hands hovered over all of the tools he sent occasional glances at me, seeing if I was scared of any of them. I didn’t dare flinch, although I kept an eye on the weapons for most of the time I also spent a while looking into his eyes, not that he could see with this mask covering my face.

Eventually he sighed out of boredom and grabbed the scalpel, walking towards me with it in his hand. He sent a glance to one of his henchmen and they immediately moved over to the chain that was keeping me in the air and he let some of it loose, giving me more ‘wiggle room’. I grunted as I dropped to the floor however the chain was still tight enough I couldn’t move far.

Sapnap smirked as he walked over to me. “To answer your questions Jacobs.” He began, using the lighter in one hand to heat up the metal of the scalpel which made me wince. “Tomorrow this city is going to bear witness to one of the biggest crime waves in history.” He hummed, “your friends might be killed during it, if they weren’t we had other ideas later on.”

The scalpel was lifted away from the lighter and Sapnap moved it so it was inches away from my face. There seemed to be blisters from when I ran into the fire on my cheek, which Sapnap dragged the scalpel along and I suppressed a whimper by biting my tongue.

“I was planning on doing what I normally do,” he continued rambling, “starting some fires, causing some mischief, showing off to all the hot dudes and chicks in town, tryna get a hook-up, y’know.” He smirked as he put more pressure on the surgical tool. “But if you are here then instead of going out into town to join with the others I can have some fun here.”

He moved to try and take off my mask but I stopped him. Since I had my feet on the ground and was able to stand on them properly I swiftly kneed him in the crotch, making him stumble backwards. I was satisfied for a moment and his henchmen made a move to run at me as I took the opportunity to tug on the chains and see if there was a way I could escape.

Before the henchmen lunged at me the arsonist let out a cackle. “I always heard that you weren’t one to hurt people Jacob’s. That you just got people out of danger, you didn’t run into it and kick people in the crotch. Maybe I have to teach you some manners.” His voice got harsher at his last sentence and I instantly realised my mistake.
_________________________________________
1539 words