Chapter 31: crime wave and a diamond thief

Techno POV.

I had to be really careful about information I told the police and the city council. They took what I said seriously though, and now there was a pair of officers driving around every neighbourhood in a patrol vehicle. None of them knew exactly what they were out there for, only to keep an eye out for any crime, like any other day for them.

Along with that there were several ambulances and fire engines driving around, in case any civilian or officer ended up injured, or there was an arson attack or something similar. There had also been an emergency alert sent out to workplaces and schools saying that there was a high chance of a tsunami, and that people should stay home.

Obviously the only wave coming to this city was a wave of crime, but we didn’t disclose that much information since we didn’t want to tip any of the city's criminals off about us knowing what they were doing.

Bad, Karl, and I were all guarding different buildings in the city. Bad was guarding the city's bank, sitting on top of an apartment complex on the other side of the street. Karl was standing on the roof of a university, which was in the middle of town square, opposite the city council.

And I was waiting on the roof of the L’manburg city prison on the outskirts of town, in case there was any breakout attempt during the chaos in the city. However it had just passed 11am, and it was currently quite quiet.

I activated my comms which had been silent and asked Karl and Bad if either of them had seen anything. Karl told me he hadn’t, but that he was still keeping an eye out, however Bad proclaimed that he had eyes on Skeppy and was about to pursue.

Philza was also sitting back at the headquarters, looking over security footage from different places throughout the city, but just like the other two he had no sign of anything. I kept looking around for any sign of people but didn’t see anyone.

Badboyhalo POV.

There was the sound of sirens in the distance, wailing loudly as they were pursuing criminals who were taking part of the crime wave. I was worried for the people in the city since there had not been a wave of crime this big… well, ever.

I wanted to go help, leave this rooftop and help out anyone who might need it. However I was instructed by both Philza and Techno to stay here and watch to see if anyone tried to rob a bank. I paced back and forth, wondering a lot of things but not knowing what to do with these thoughts.

After sitting for a while with only my silence, there was the sound of static coming from my comms. Techno’s voice came through. “Have any of you seen anything yet?” He asked Karl, Phil, and I since we were all connected to him on the comms.

“Nobody has been near the council.” Karl said.
“I hear some sirens,” I informed the other people listening. “They seem quite close by but I won’t move unless you guys tell me too.” I was looking around as I spoke and suddenly saw a flash of movement.

I recognised the person immediately, and my eyes widened. “Actually I see Skeppy!” I said quietly but excitedly. “Should I go after him?”
“Yes, go.” Philza answered. “The only other people out are low level criminals, nobody we were planning on going after. I was hoping for a shot at Dream or Sapnap since those two are the most dangerous, but go get Skeppy.”

Without saying anything else I disconnected my comms and looked for the quickest way across the street. There was a utility pole hanging across the street, sending electricity between the building I was on and the one opposite it, and I let out a breath before beginning to cautiously walk across it.

Techno had me train on keeping my balance on things like tight ropes for hours on end, and made me walk over wires up to 100 feet, which made this easy because this street was only 50 feet wide.

I managed to jump onto the roof of the bank, keeping close to the wall. I was feeling kind of annoyed at my supersuit because of how obvious it was seeing a pure black and red outfit against a cream coloured building. The ravenette still didn’t seem to notice that I was nearby and had a pair of henchmen following him who also didn’t notice me.

The pair of henchmen who were following him didn’t seem to understand the value of silence as they chatted to each other happily. “This entire day is like a fucking holiday!” One explained excitedly, “all the criminals doing what they want as a way of distracting the cops and the heroes!”

My eyebrows furrowed at what he said, but I decided to ignore it for the moment as I continued to creep closer to the trio to arrest them.
“Yeah!” the younger looking henchman agreed. “I wonder who the guy Quackity is bringing to town is? Apparently he used to live here but those are just rumours.”

A loud sigh came from the ravenette. “Would you two shut up! Everybody is going to hear you and if you give away too much I will kill you both! You don’t know who could be listening!” The pair seemed scared as they heard that, but one managed to sputter out a response.

“What’s the chance someone will be listening boss? The heroes and cops are stretched thin across the city. There is no chance they’ll be here.” I smiled to myself as the ignorant muffinhead spoke, little did he know I was really sneaky.

“But what about the bank tellers? Or the civilians wanting to get some cash? Or the security guards? Or people on the street?” Skeppy asked. “Now hurry up and go. I have a lot of plans so get in there and start heading to the vault. I’ll join you in a minute.”

The pair of guards gave a nod as I heard them drop down into the vent and begin heading towards somewhere. A small sigh leaves the gem thief’s lips and I decide to take advantage of the fact that he is alone. I jumped out of where I was hiding and ran at him without giving him a chance to react.

As I managed to reach him I sent a fist into his jaw, knocking him back immediately and giving him a surprise. He spun around and his eyes narrowed as he balled up his fist, before throwing a punch back at me.
_________________________________________
1132 words