Chapter 3: the crime scene

Technoblade POV.

I saw George walking out of the rare gem exhibition with the two hostages following him as he led them outside to where the ambulance would be waiting for them. George sent me a side glance which I think he wanted to use to make me feel pity so he could stick around.

Crime fighting is basically George’s whole life and besides that the only thing he leaves headquarters for is when he goes to work during the day as a coder. I sent him back to the base so my father, Philza, could check up on him and see how badly he was injured, but it would be good from the Brit to have a break for a while so he doesn’t overwork himself.

Bad was standing right next to me and I could tell he was falling for George’s sad look, so I sighed before nudging for him to continue heading where we were meant to go. Several police officers were heading in the same direction with number markers and police tape to mark off the area.

They led Bad and I through first before beginning to tape off the area. We ignored most of the officers and instead walked over to the chief of police, a man who went by the name of Sam. He saw the two of us and walked over to us.

“Techno, Bad, it is good to see you both.” He greeted me fondly, and while Bad gave a friendly response I just began looking around at the crime scene.
Several officers were walking around marking out evidence, including some railing around the outside of the hole that Skeppy had escaped through.

“Where is 404?” Sam asked curiously as he looked around. “I figured he’d be here because he was the one who fought Skeppy and his goons.”
“We had a lead on another criminal, and needed him to do some hacking so he left.” I explained, since we don’t want anybody, even cops, hearing about any of us being injured.

“Oh okay.” Sam said, before getting called over by another cop to examine something.
Bad and I exchanged a glance before beginning to walk around the room and examine some evidence of our own.

“Something seems off about this.” Bad muttered, and I felt like he was furrowing his eyebrows from under his mask and hood.
“How so?” I questioned, sending a glance at him as we walked down one the hallways connecting to the exhibition hall that the gems had been stored in.

“I’ve been tracking Skeppy for months, but over all the places he’s been, he's never attacked a place like a museum. He only ever goes for banks or rich families. Why would he attack such a public place in broad daylight?” I sent a glance at the older and what he said did make sense.

Skeppy was nowhere near the most dangerous criminal in the city but he was one of the most strategic. Heck, before Bad, Karl, George, and I became heroes nobody had ever seen what he actually looks like.

Part of the reason Skeppy had been so illusive was because he was always good at distracting people. He’d leave a bunch of hints leading people one way then attack another way when they weren’t looking. He was so sneaky that sometimes it took days for people to figure out that they had been robbed by him, only when they discovered his calling card would they figure it out.

Back then before he introduced himself as Skeppy he was referred to by the police as the ‘midnight diamond’. The name was pretty self explanatory since he only committed his crimes at night and seemed to have some strange fetish for diamonds, emeralds, rubies, and every other gemstone.

Wherever he went he also left a small gemstone, no bigger than a bottle cap. It was a bright blue colour and made of plastic and it glows when it is in the dark. I always considered it quite a fancy calling card but it made it easy to figure out if he was involved or not because no other criminal usually spent this much time on a calling card.

We walked through a pair of staff only doors that were propped open and saw a cop trying to question the two criminals who had been moved from where they were in the hallway to the alleyway outside while sitting on a bench beside a cop car. They were handcuffed to the bench for now and seemed to be enjoying teasing the officer who was trying to question them.

“Tell us where Skeppy is and we’ll shorten your prison sentences. Currently you will serve about twenty years but I can half that time if you turn him in.” The cop stated.
“We aren’t snitches.” One of Skeppy’s goons scorned.
“Yeah,” the other agreed. “You couldn’t pay us to turn our backs on the boss.”

I rolled my eyes as I walked over to them with Bad following behind me. With a flick of my wrist I created a knife in my hand and stared tauntingly at the two henchmen. “How about if the two of you tell us where Skeppy is I won’t cut off your arms.” I threatened.

“Techno, you know you aren’t allowed to do that right.” Bad reminded me quietly as he stood beside me, I knew that he was telling the truth but didn’t react so that the criminals wouldn’t realise what he said.

“You need us alive.” One of the criminals stated nonchalantly while smirking up at me.
“Exactly. You wouldn’t dare lay a hand on either of us, pig.” The other one smirked.
“Don’t test me.” I snarled at them, tightening my grip on the weapon and narrowing my eyes.

“Why is Skeppy suddenly robbing places in broad daylight? And why has he started robbing places as public as a museum?” Bad questioned.
They didn’t answer, instead just smirking up at the two of us.

Suddenly the sound of a gun firing drew our attention away from the pair. We looked up at the source of the sound and saw a person in a circular black mask with a white smile drawn messily on it standing on the roof of the opposite building. He was holding a gun and re-holstered it before disappearing from view.

“Shit.” I muttered, seeing where the bullets had been fired and the two dead henchmen slumped above the ground with the handcuffs keeping them from falling properly. Blood was dripping from holes in their heads and creating a pool of blood between the two.

“Bad follow him.” I instructed, signalling for the other superhero to follow the masked hitman on the roof. The other hero nodded and began climbing, using his powers to scale the side of the brick building in moments.

I turned to the police officer who was seeming to panic at the sight of the two criminals with their shocked expressions frozen as they slumped a foot over the ground, held up by the cuffs that secured them to the seat they’d been on. I was annoyed that an officer was disgusted by a dead body when someone would assume a police officer would see this all the time.

However I gave him a look of sympathy from under my mask. “You can go if you need to.” I said.
The man nodded and walked off causing me to turn my attention back to the dead bodies.
_________________________________________
1256 words