Chapter 72: Technoblade... never... dies?

Badboyhalo POV.

The weather was nice, too nice even. It was too bright and sunny today. The entire city was mourning the loss of a hero, of one of my only friends, and it was as though the rest of the world didn’t care.

And clearly the world didn’t. Why would it care? Death happens every day so it’s not as though this was a surprise. Someday everyone will die after all. But the sudden death of someone who should have lived for many years to come always sparks surprise, especially if people referred to that person as unkillable, often comparing them to a god.

I was standing in an alleyway, opposite the largest church in the city where crowds were already gathering. On the steps of the church were members of the council, high ranking police officers and army officials, and the minister of this church. All of them were talking quietly to each other in front of a row of wooden seats, which had a large photo of Techno alongside it.

Standing in front of the church steps was a swarm of photographers and news reporters from all over the place. The death of a superhero is no small story, and you could already tell that all of them were going to be making stories on this for weeks.

Behind them were the civilians. The families all gathered here to show their support. A lot of people were dressed in pink, a colour associated with Techno, and some people were wearing costumes. People were holding toys created in the hero's image; action figures and cuddly plushies.

This was a large event. A lot of people were here to pay their respects to someone who had given his life for the city. There were gifts, flowers and cards and other things to lay in front of what was going to be Techno’s grave.

It was large and made of a shiny white stone in the centre of the church's graveyard, even though the area was closed to the public before the service started but some had already snuck in and left gifts. Obviously the tomb was empty. Techno’s body had not been recovered and if it was it would be given to his family to bury privately wherever they had wanted.

“Are you guys sure that you want to be here?” I asked, looking over my shoulder at Philza and Tommy who both looked like a mess after being up crying all night. “I could take you guys somewhere more private to watch, or just take you both home. This might not be-”
“It’s fine, Bad,” Philza cut us off. “If you have to be here then we will be here too.”

I nodded at the blond. He was planning on standing near the back of the crowd anyway, that way he’d surely be out of the public's eye. He put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a gentle, supportive squeeze. “You’re brave for going up there and doing this,” he said quietly. “We’ll meet you back at the HQ after the service, okay?”

We exchanged a weak smile before I pulled my mask on, covering my face entirely before turning and walking out of the alley. People immediately noticed me and started moving out of my way to let me pass. Most of them seemed really respectful, giving me sympathetic looks as I walked up to the steps of the church.

Not everyone was that respectful though. When I began walking past the reporters and photographers they immediately started shoving their microphones and cameras in my face to ask questions, all of which I ignored.

I solemnly walked up the steps before turning to look at the crowd, all of whom had fallen into an eerie silence at my arrival, even though we weren’t starting the service for another five minutes or so. My gaze went over their heads to the alley I had stepped out of, and I saw Philza and Tommy walking out, looking completely inconspicuous.

They seemed grateful that there was no attention on them, and I was grateful for that too. Nobody seemed to notice as my eyes scanned the large group of people for anyone else I knew as Tommy and Phil found places to stand at the back of the crowd. When my eyes caught on my pair of religious parents and I immediately turned away, deciding that was enough.

Antfrost was dressed in his police uniform, standing in front of his seat and walked over to me. Sam was the police chief and was meant to be here but he was still off with Ponk, mourning Foolish’s disappearance. He gave me a sympathetic smile. “Thank you for coming,” he said quietly. I didn’t say anything, just nodding in response before looking away again.

“Can we start?” I asked in a low voice so the awaiting crowd couldn’t hear. The members of the city council all heard me and a couple of them gave a nod, before moving to make sure they were ready. I went to a seat reserved for me on the church steps and just waited quietly.

In the first few minutes of the service we rushed through a talk from the mayor, the governor, and several songs in Techno’s honour with me zoning out for most of the time. All I paid attention to was watching as the other people on the row of chairs stood up to sing the national anthem, then to sit back down after it was finished.

Finally people all started looking at me in anticipation and I knew it was time for me to stand up and say something about my friend. I walked over to the podium, which was set up directly in front of the church's large doors and let out a loud sigh, before meeting Philza’s eyes and beginning to talk.

“Last night I am sure was hard for all of us.” I began. “It is always hard to lose someone and I am sure that not all of us believed the news when we heard it.” I sighed as I spoke. “He was given powers and decided to use them to protect all of you. For about ten years Techno put his life on the line for this city.”

“Now he’s gone. I lost one of my best friends and it isn’t an easy thing to recover from.” I paused and turned down towards the cameras. “Now the city is filled with more crime than ever, and although all of us are rushing to worry about what can be done now to protect us you all need to realise that you are already doing it.”

I wasn’t sure where I was going with this, but I kept talking nonetheless. “There are heroes in each and every one of us, and it might sound cliche but it isn’t. What you decide to do with this option of being a hero is up to you.”

“Whatever you decide to do I hope that you stay safe. Technoblade gave up his life to make it this way for you. There isn’t much more I can say after all. I don’t know what I could say. But on behalf of Techno I’d like to thank you all for coming out here to pay your respects.”

It wasn’t the best speech I knew, but there wasn’t much else I could say. I took one final look throughout the crowd before turning and walking to my seat, only half paying attention as the mayor thanked everyone for coming and told them that if they wanted to they could go and visit Techno’s grave to pay respect.

When everyone began leaving I did the same, standing and descending the steps while ignoring the questions being asked by the reporters. Once I returned to the alleyway I began climbing onto the roof, out of sight of the public before slowly walking in the direction of the HQ. Little did I know that Philza and Tommy wouldn’t be following me.
________________________________________
1347 words