Chapter 59: my best friend

George POV.

‘Karl has gone against my orders several times and has been in contact with Sapnap after being told not to. Techno and I believe he may have been passing information. If you do encounter Karl, give us his location immediately.
Stay safe
-Philza’

I didn’t believe what I had read, there was no way that Karl would betray us. He had been my best friend so surely I would have seen signs, wouldn’t I? I was certain that it couldn’t be possible but I wasn’t sure.

My eyes stayed focused on the email for a few more minutes, trying to see any signs that there was something incorrect, and that my best friend wasn’t being accused of being a traitor. However there was no hesitation or even spelling mistakes in the email, which made me even more cautious.

I even remember meeting him for the first time, ages ago. Even back then I could tell that he was one of the nicest people in the city. It was just instinct, I mean you must be nice to put yourself in danger to protect innocents.

3 years ago

I was sitting on my bed while staring at my laptop screen, since I had been watching a movie, an incredibly boring day added on to my incredibly boring existence. If I had known how little excitement was involved in hero work I would not have gotten involved, but here I was sitting in my shared room in the small apartment we called out HQ.

Honestly it was kind of boring. I had taken a small job as a coder along with taking more classes since I dropped out of highschool when I ran away from home ages ago. I often had to go out and fight crime in the night. The people here were nice, Philza, and Techno had trained me to control my powers, along with Philza’s son Tommy, who was annoying.

Our headquarters was a small apartment on the edge of the city, the only good thing was that not many other people lived nearby to hear us walking around and training. We lived in a three bedroom apartment. I had to share a bedroom with another hero called Bad since there wasn’t much space, he was nice but it sucked not to have any personal space.

Even though four of the five of us had jobs, it was difficult to get an affordable apartment, since we had to buy basic things like food, clothes, bills, and furniture, along with less basic things. I mean it is expensive to buy weapons, and things that we end up destroying during training such as punching bags. Plus we have to pay for Tommy to go to school too.

Since there wasn’t much space all of us needed to share rooms. There were three bedrooms in the small apartment. Bad and I had to share one of the rooms, but Philza had given us the biggest room, which used to be the master bedroom, because we weren’t blood related to each other.

There were two sets of bunk beds, with half of the beds unoccupied. I took the top bunk on one side of the room, and Bad took the bottom bunk on the other side of the room. This room also had one of the two bathrooms which was the primary one that myself and Bad used. The only problem was because of the space, this room was also used for storage.

The other two rooms were the same size, with one being shared by the two brothers, fitting one set of bunk beds and a desk as pretty much the only things in the room. The other bedroom was used by Philza, who could barely fit a double bed and a desk in his room.

As I was watching my movie there was a knock on the door of my room, and I paused my movie before telling them to ‘come in’. Techno stepped inside and I was honestly surprised. I mean Tommy often came to hang out in here when he was bored, and Philza would come in to tell me dinner was ready or remind me to do some training, but the pinkette never visited me or Bad.

“Philza wanted me to tell you that there was someone here that he wanted you to meet,” Techno stated, poking his head in the door.
“Okay, I’ll be right out.” I responded before watching as he stepped out and shut the door.

A moment later I looked back towards the screen and turned it off, deciding to continue the movie I was watching later. Then I jumped off of my bunk and headed out of the room to where Philza, Techno, Bad, and Tommy were gathered in the living room, or the living room/dining room/meeting room.

After that I noticed another person standing opposite them, a brunette with grey eyes was standing opposite them looking cautious. He was taller than me and had a backpack over his shoulder as he answered their questions cautiously. Philza was standing beside the brunette who was answering questions that he was being asked by Tommy and Bad.

“So you can teleport anywhere?” Tommy questioned, bubbling with excitement and looking like an excited fan boy.
“Yeah I guess,” the brunette answered. “But I get more tired if I teleport really far, or multiple times one after the other.”

“That is so cool!” The blond said overenthusiastically and then he came up with an idea. “Does that mean you could teleport me to school and back every day?” He went on to ask.
“It is also difficult to teleport other people,” the tall boy added on to what he said earlier. “I can do it but it drains a lot of energy so I try to avoid it.”

As the pair talked I saw Philza looking up to smile at me, and he stopped the conversation to address me. “Hey George, this is Karl, he is going to be your newest teammate.”
I turned to look at the brunette, Karl, before offering to take him to his room, and he nodded at the offer.

The two of us walked down the hallway to the bedroom and I helped Karl get settled down on the bed above Bad’s, directly opposite mine. “Thanks for the help,” he said with a meek expression, “this place is kinda weird.”
“Yeah,” I agreed, “it doesn’t seem like your typical superhero hideout, does it?”

A smile appeared on his face before he sat on his new bed and I sat on mine. After a minute or so he began talking and we started a conversation. We only talked for a few minutes before I could tell that we were going to be best friends.

modern day

I knew that I wanted to ask Karl what was going on, and knew that Sapnap was the most likely person to know where he was so I headed down to his room. After figuring out where his room was I knocked on the door, and after a few moments the ravenette opened the door, holding a knife.

His eyes widened in surprise when he saw me there and he greeted me with a small, shocked sounding ‘George?’
I didn’t respond and looked past him to see Karl sitting on his bed, and I saw the brunette muttering at Sapnap that I could come inside.

The moment that he said that I pushed past the arsonist and pulled my best friend into a hug, feeling heartbroken as I saw Karl’s eyes well up with more tears while Sapnap just shut the door behind him.
_________________________________________
1282 words.

Ooh the origin of George and Karl's friendship?