Chapter 71: the unkillable

Bad POV.

In the modern day, news spreads quickly. However bad news spreads even faster. I woke up at three in the morning, deciding to go to get a drink of water when I heard the announcement on the news. The announcement of Technoblade’s death.

I walked out of my room when I wanted water when I saw the TV was on the news, with the light from the screen being the only thing from plunging the room into darkness. Philza was sitting in front of the TV, practically paralyzed as his eyes glistened with tears at what was being said, and I stopped walking to turn and listen.

“It has been reported that in the early hours of the morning that the hero known as Technoblade was shot at the L’manburg docks. Although we can not get access to a lot of the area, police and coast guard are still attempting to search for the body.” Was all that I managed to hear from the reporter before hearing the sound of sobbing coming from Phil.

Cautiously, I walked over to him, sitting down beside him but not knowing how to react. He just found out his son was killed. His son, who was referred to as unkillable, was claimed to be dead. “Go wake Tommy,” he told me after crying for a moment, and I hesitated to move so he continued. “Please, he deserves to know, it’s his brother after all.”

I stood up from my spot beside Philza and walked towards the bedrooms, pausing in front of the teenage blond’s door since I already knew how he would react. After I knocked on the door there was a moment of me having to wait silently before Tommy opened the door looking as though he was still half asleep.

“Bad?” He asked, “what the hell do you want? It’s the middle of the fucking night?” I didn’t even bother to tell him off for language, but I gave him a sad look as I responded.
“There is something you need to know,” I muttered, “Philza and I have to tell you something in the living room…”

The blond seemed to notice that something was wrong from my tone, but he nodded and shut his door momentarily to get changed out of what he had been wearing to bed. I stayed where I was, staring glumly at the ground.

When the door opened again Tommy stepped out, shutting the door behind him. “What is it you need to talk to me about, Bad?” the blond questioned, and I just beckoned for him to follow me as I walked back down the hallway. Philza was still crying in the living room and Tommy’s face flashed with worry as he moved to sit beside his father.

“Tommy,” the older blond muttered, refusing to look at his son as he attempted to blink back the tears in his eyes. “I’m sorry.”
“Why are you sorry?” Tommy still didn’t seem to understand what had happened. Phil shook his head, refusing to say it himself, looking as though he’d break if he said another sentence.

Not that he had to, after a moment of none of us speaking the reporter from the TV caught the teenager’s attention and he looked over to it, thinking it would give him some answer. “Even though the death was only found out about less than four hours ago, crime has already begun spiking in the city. We will be going live with Dianna Wayne who is live downtown.”

“Thank you Rylie” A female reporter responded, and on the TV screen you could see her bundled up warmly in a jacket and beanie while she clutched a microphone. She was standing in front of a church with the front of the building brightly lit up. “Although Technoblade’s death was only announced hours ago there have been mixed reactions by all.”

“Many people have been gathering downtown, already setting up memorials for the hero, with many citizens turning up to pay their respects. On the other hand many others are taking to the streets, what little safety was in L’manburg is gone as there are already reports of robberies, break-ins, and murders.”

I could see Tommy’s lips quivering, the blond teen who often thought he was fearless seemed absolutely petrified in this moment as the reporter continued. “Police said that tomorrow morning there will be a memorial service at this church to commemorate the hero before advising that people stay safe. I will be here all night, back to you in the studio.”

“Thank you for that update Dian-” The sentence was cut off as Philza turned the tv off. He took several deep breaths as he stood up, trying to remain composed as he looked over at his younger son.
“Tommy,” he spoke quietly, wanting some sort of reaction.

There was no response, Tommy had become a statue, staring at the now blank TV screen with an unreadable expression, but it was clear he didn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe it. Who would believe it when they were told their brother was dead? It was already difficult for me to comprehend my friend being dead, but their family member?

I left the room to give them some time to process what was happening as I tried not to cry myself. The HQ was deathly quiet as I walked through to the meeting room, knowing that nobody would come in here I figured that this was a good place to process what was happening.

Apparently that wasn’t the case though, since a few minutes after my phone vibrated in my pocket. My eyes lit up with hope, thinking that maybe Techno had survived and was calling to tell me that he was safe. Unfortunately it wasn’t him, it was Antfrost. I felt like ignoring the call but I decided not to.

“Hello? Ant?” I asked quietly, my voice quivering slightly since I knew I would probably burst into tears if I spoke too much at once.
“Bad. I am so sorry to hear about Technoblade,” the police officer on the other end of the line told me, and I just sighed.

“It seems that a lot of people are sorry, but a lot of people aren’t. Have you seen the news?” I paused for a moment to take a deep breath. “Anyway, what is it that you need?
“The city council, and the city mayor wanted me to contact you. For the memorial service tomorrow they want you to give a speech.” He told me.

“Ant… I don’t know if I can.” I responded, still staying nearly silent. “You have to understand that I need to be here too-”
“I know,” he cut me off. “I know that Philza and Tommy need you, but the city needs you to. It’s gone through a lot in the last couple of months. You being at the memorial will mean a lot.”

He paused for a couple seconds which felt a lot longer. The cop was seemingly waiting for me to respond to him, to say something, anything, but I didn’t. “I am sorry if it’s too much,” Ant eventually continued. “You are the last hero left and it would mean a lot if you could tell people that there is still hope. If you want, Philza and Tommy can get guests of honour spots.”

“With all due respect I don’t think those two would want to be up there, they’d be in the spotlight after Techno died. I need to go, but I will try and come to the memorial service. Thanks for calling Ant.” With that I hung up, putting my phone back in my pocket and leaning back in my chair, while still wanting to pinch myself and wake up from whatever nightmare has been happening.
_________________________________________
1309 words

You enjoying the story?