ariel

Enjoy 🤍.

"I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you." - Paulo Coelho
————————————————————

Chapter 61
<————————————-->

I had just finished dressing when I heard a knock at the door. I froze. Even though Kade said he would be here, it could be Chivo or one of his men for all I know.

I picked up my phone, and texted Kade. When he confirmed it was him, my shoulders fell with relief.

I was the only one in the house. Ryland was out with his friends, and dad and Teresa were out of town.

When I told him about Susie's offer, there wasn't an ounce of shock in his reaction. He had already took it. There was nothing I could do, but congratulate him at that point. I assumed that's why him and Teresa left to celebrate.

When I opened the door, the wind could've knocked me off my feet. But, when I felt Kade get closer, the cold was no longer the subject. His warmth clouded me once he placed his hands on my cheeks.

I didn't have time to close the door before his lips were on mine. I couldn't stop the laughter from spilling when his cold hands tickled my skin.

I longed for his lips once-more when he peered back at me in confusion. "Your hands are like icesickles," I explained.

When I grabbed them, I was taken aback at the sight of his knuckles. They were bruised up.

My thumb trailed across them softly. "What happened? Was there a fight?"

His expression tried to console my concern. "I hit Angelo. Well, again." His chuckle made me roll my eyes.

"That's not funny, Kade. Sit, I'll get ice." Before he argued, I shoved him onto the sofa with a soft push. "Don't move."

"Yes ma'am," he grinned up at me. "But, I'm fine, sweetheart." While he spoke, I went and grabbed a frozen pack of peas. I sat on the sofa next to him before pulling his hand onto my lap.

"What happened?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing crazy. He came in talking shit. I warned him. He didn't listen. So, I beat his ass, again. Simple."

I was light with my touch. I didn't have to look to know he was already staring at me. I felt his heavy hand drop on mine. I couldn't stop my body from melting into mush as he tipped my chin up.

"You curled your hair," he pointed out, his fingers twirling the strands. Raven had taught me. That wasn't the only change I'd made tonight.

I was actually wearing something outside of my normal wardrobe. It was a cute sweater and blue jeans that hugged me in the right places. Raven and Maggie had convinced me to try something that still fit my comfort zone. And, I felt amazing.

A small smile feathered my lips though it was hard to concentrate as Kade's fingers danced across my skin. "Do you like it?"

I leaned into his touch. "I love it. I love anything you're in, sweetheart. You're stunning. And, I love..." His words ceased in a heartbeat. My eyes fluttered open as I waited for him to fix his mistake, but he didn't. I could see the ache, the hesitation, the fear in his eyes.

I felt vacant as he released me. His sigh was heavy before he spoke. "Can I use your shower? I stopped by my house to get something to change into. We still have a while before the movie starts."

I nodded, but my throat was as dry as the Sahara desert. I could feel my heart thumping so hard in my chest, I almost felt the need to check my pulse.

He stood, his eyes never reaching mine. He looked as if he wanted to say something else. I could see the wheels turning in his head, but he shook the train away and left to my bathroom.