exchange

Surprise, Surprise! Kade's first POV! Enjoy 🤍!

"Life is the first gift, love is the second, and understanding the third." – Marge Piercy

————————————————————

Chapter 76
<—————————————>
|Kade|

My head snapped back as Levi landed another punch. With a curse, my fingers swept past my bloody lip.

I scowled at his smirk. Cocky motherfucker.

I returned to my stance, even though it had landed me at least three punches from Levi so far. I didn't have it in me to give a shit right now, though.

"If I hit your sorry ass one more time, I'm going to tell Adrian to call this shit off," Levi grinned, wiping the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. "What's up with you, man? Something with your girl?"

I shook my head, pulling in a breath I never even knew I needed. "Nah, just some shit at home. And, no, it's not what you think."

His brows rose before he let them fall. "Your mom?" he guessed, motioning for me to put my arms up. He swung, but this time I weaved, immediately catching the fucker in his temple. It would have connected, but he blocked it just in time. "She being a bitch, again?"

"Don't call her that," I warned.

Levi stared back at me with a look of disbelief. He was shocked. Hell, I was, too.

Ever since the talk with Susie a couple days ago, things were...strange to say the least. I had no idea if that was a good or bad strange.

Kimberly said that it was all about time, so I held onto that fact. But, since things was as peaceful as they could be right now, I wasn't going to complain. My mother and I, as odd as it sounded, were okay. Not best friends, but okay.

It was better than nothing. It was more than anything we ever had.

Levi squinted at me in confusion before stepping away. "Okay," he drawled with uncertainty. "Since when did you like her, or even remotely respect her?"

With an eye roll, I began to undo the tape on my wrists. I was done with training for the day. "I don't like her, I just...respect her, now. We talked over our shit, and things have been better, I guess. Or, they're getting there. That's it."

That was all I would say for now. Levi and Luke were the only people other than Kimberly  that I would trust with my life. But, the wounds were too fresh. I didn't want to talk about my mommy problems when I had my girl to get home to.

The thought of her made my insides flutter until it left a impression. I tried to suppress it, but when it came to her, every single feeling was raw. I didn't want to hold back when it came to my person.

There was no discussion about it. The woman was my air, my reason, and my best everythings.

Anything she asked of me, I would do without a question. The woman could have me on my knees in front of a crowd, declaring my love if she asked. I hoped she'd never go that far, but having me drink that disgusting coffee on the plane was close enough.

I didn't even realize I was grinning until it started to hurt. Of course, Levi's smartass noticed this, too.

I shoved at his shoulder as hard as I could before jumping off of the platform steps three at a time. Swiping at the loose droplets of blood under my nose, I hurried off to grab my shit.