anything

Enjoy 🤍.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." – Eleanor Roosevelt
————————————————————

Chapter 65
<—————————————>

"I'm going to miss you," Shay said for the hundredth time tonight. "One last hug."

I laughed, gently wrapped my arms around her. She was in the third trimester, which meant the baby could come anyday, now. The estimated arrival was during the same week I'd be gone, though. I was sad to miss his or her's birth, but Shay promised to FaceTime me.

Griff came up from behind, wrapping his arms around us both. Then, Celeste and my uncle Dylan. I smiled at the embrace before it became too much. Griff was a teddy bear, but he usually forgot his own strength.

"Oh!" Celeste gasped and stepped back, shaking her finger at me. "I almost forgot!"

I cocked my head at her. "Forgot what?"

She gripped my arm to pull me into the back of the diner. I motioned for Kade to wait a second, but he was too busy speaking to Griff. It was an unexpected match but the two got along immediately, as well as the rest of them. I was pretty sure it was because every time he stopped by here, he left them hundred dollar tips. Griff even found him worthy of a bear hug. The uncomfortableness that crossed Kade's face was a comical sight, though.

I stood behind her as she walked to the freezer. "Did you drag me back here for a reason, or have you lost it?"

She turned to face me with a grin, then shoved an envelope into my hand. I raised an eyebrow in question, but accepted it, nonetheless.

"It's a little something from all of us. Since Griff and Shay will be busy with the baby, and Dylan and I will be gone to his mothers...lord bless me with that woman," she swore under her breath. "I wanted to give you your gift early."

With a smile, I peeked into the envelope, then nearly dropped it with shock. It was filled with cash.

My heart awed in my chest. "You didn't have to, Celeste."

She shrugged, grasping my hands in hers. "It's just a little thank you for all you've done for the diner, sweet girl. We wouldn't have made it through this busy season without you. And, you wouldn't accept your tips, either."

I shrugged. "You guys deserved them."

Celeste rolled her eyes. "Yeah well those are in the envelope, too." She chuckled as she walked to the open view window, which Griff and Shay usually used to spy on people.

Her smile was warm as she glanced at Kade, who was chuckling at something Shay said. Her gaze skipped back to me. "Did he tell you about the Ryder donation?"

I shook my head. "What?" He hadn't mentioned a word about it to me.

Her head bobbed. "The other day, he came in with a check signed by the Ryders. Left it on the counter, tipped all of us even though he didn't even order anything, said have a good night, then just walked out. Your uncle nearly fell out," she chuckled, her hand on her chest as she reminisced the memory.

My eyes jerked over to her. "Are you serious?"

Celeste nodded. "Mhm. We called, but he wouldn't take it back no matter what we said."