ruining a moment

———————————————————
Enjoy guys! Vote, Comment, Share! Thank you for all the support!🤍

"I laugh in the face of danger!" — Simba in The Lion King
————————————————————

Chapter 15
<——————————————->

During the few minutes that had passed, Shay and Griff began to bicker about which temp a burger is at its best. Those two would be the death of each another one day, but they couldn't live without the other.

I took the remaining orders out to the hungry group of customers.

I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose with my wrist, and minimized my eyes to slits to search for the numbers on the tables that matched the order. One by one, I delivered the plates to people, until there were none left.

By the end of my shift, my feet were in terrible danger of giving out any second now. Once I went back to the kitchen, the heat flew right at me.

"Guys, I'm heading outside for fresh air," I told Celeste, Shay, and Griff.

Celeste nodded before speaking,"Grab your jacket before you go out, though."

I rolled my eyes, but smiled at her motherly attitude. Since my mother had never actually been a mother, Celeste found it upon herself to be a good role model toward me. Her motherly protection did annoy me on some days, but I'd rather have that than nothing.

I grabbed my jacket, pulling it along my arms on my way out of the diner. I was in a alleyway that I recognized too easily. Uncle Dylan, Griff, and I would play hide and seek here, and hide from Dad, Shay, and Celeste.

The fresh breeze flew past my face, causing my hair to try and escape from the ponytail I had forced it into.

I moved closer to the entrance of the small building, yet I kept a distance. Kade and his group of friends would notice me if I moved any closer.

I smiled as I examined the night sky above me.

The moon protected the sun, and instead a dark beautiful blanket hooded the daylight from us. The bright stars looked as if they had been poured from a salt shaker and were sprinkled onto the night sky. They negotiated with the darkness, and partnered with the moon to allow bits of light toward us humans.

"What are you thinking about?"

With a gasp of surprise, I jerked around to see Kade's silhouette stepping closer and closer to me.

Instead of freaking out, I told myself not to care. I told my brain to deliver a message to my heart, and that was to not let Kade affect me.

It seemed that my heart was yet to receive the message.

I swallowed a thick void of emotion in my throat. "The moon."

I felt him step closer behind me, yet my back remained facing his body. "Anything else?" he asked me, his voice too deep for my hearing senses to take.

I kept my eyes on the bright moon above us. "The stars."

"Are you sure that's all?" Kade asked, though the challenge was clearly there.

I discarded it. He's not getting me this time.

I yanked around toward him, attempting my best look of anger. "Why do you even care?"

"I never said I did."

My chest fell with a tired sigh. "Then why are you even here, Kade?"

For both myself, and him.