snow

Enjoy 🤍.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."– Buddha
————————————————————

Chapter 69
<—————————————>

"Ow! Damn it," Kade grumbled a curse as Grandma Jacky smacked his hand so hard, the skin turned red.

She snatched her drink away from his hands, doubling a glare at him. "I told you about my alcohol, boy!"

"Aren't they the cutest?" Daisy - Jacky's friend and partner in crime - admired. "I wish I could get my grandson to visit me for the holidays like Kade does Jacky."

Two hours in, the room was full of Grandma Jackys' friends and associates. They were all a mix of personalities, but they blended together quite well.

Except when the games started.

Kade and I played a couple of rounds of spades before it started to turn toxic. He even had to break up a fight between Jacky and another elderly woman since she claimed she won. I wouldn't admit it aloud, but I saw Jacky slide the card under her sleeve when she thought no one was looking. Because of that, she won a hundred dollar bet.

After a couple of bottles were broken, they all switched to gambling. Jacky was right, Kade was her good luck charm. Together, the two beat everyone who dared bet against them. It was hilarious seeing the two argue and bicker then take the game home.

I smiled at Daisy. "I'm sure he'll come around."

Ray, who was just as Jacky described, hopped around the room with a charming smile. The man had gelled black hair with peppered grey strands. His golden tooth was his money maker every time he flashed a smile. He'd lost his leg in a war, but was given a prosthetic one to help him get around.

He tried some type of pickup line when he sauntered over to me earlier, but Kade shut it down in a heartbeat. The man took the sign and walked off to go and try those lines elsewhere.

Kade glared at his grandmother, who was on her third beer. "You're a hateful woman, you know."

She glanced around the table, her eyes narrowing at her opponents before she slammed a card down. "Boom goes the motherfucking dynamite! Sent all of you geezers to an early grave!" As she slid her earnings toward her section, people all around the table groaned and some even walked off. I don't blame them, that was her third win in a row.

Kade chuckled despite his earlier comment. My smile never fell even when he started to tease me. His hand stayed just above my knee the entire night, acting as if his strokes were casual. I smacked it away every time I finally grew the strength, but was met with a witty smile.

"Your social battery dead yet, sweetheart?" Kade leaned over to whisper in my ear.

I could barely hear it past the loud room. For elderly people, they sure knew how to get the hell down.

I nodded. "You're not just saying that so you can steal me away, right?"

Kade rolled his eyes, palming his chest in feigned hurt. "I would never." But by the way his hand edged into my inner thigh and squeezed, I thought differently.

He flicked his head toward Grandma Jacky. He had to raise his voice over the music to be heard. "We're gonna head up to our room."

Jacky nodded, having her friend put a cigar in her mouth while the other lit it. "Oh yeah, I don't need you two anymore. Daisy's staying over!" She placed an arm around Daisy, who had moved to become partners with her. She eyed over her next set of cards.