holly jolly

Enjoy 🤍.

"A garden of love grows in a grandmothers heart." – Unknown
————————————————————

Chapter 68
<—————————————>

I smiled at Kade from behind Grandma Jacky's back as she hugged me. "I made a promise to myself that if you two didn't stop being so damn stubborn, and get together by Christmas, I was going to have to intervene."

Kade motioned for me to follow him upstairs. "God knows I wouldn't want that, dear calm, completely sane grandmother."

"You're damn right," she responded, releasing me. "Did my dear grandchild forget so soon the lengths I'll go?" She opened her arms to Kade, who grimaced before accepting her hug. The sight was heartwarming.

I took the opportunity to glance around the inside of the house. I expected differently for an elderly woman, that's for sure. I thought there would be countless antiques, old modern furniture, and things of that nature, but no.

As soon as we walked in, there were countless pictures, and signed autographs around us. I couldn't get to all of them at once, but the one that stood out the most was a man with a tiger pelt to cover his privates, twisted in an angle where his pale cheeks were on full display. A three-piece grey living room set was carefully arranged around the room, leaving enough room for the flat screen plastered right above the lit fireplace.

The ceiling was so high that a neck would hurt for staring too long. The floors were wooden, not a speck of dust in sight. In the corner, a Christmas tree, tall and lit was surrounded by presents of all sizes, and colors.

Leading past the kitchen, I could see the high windows, nearly as tall as the ceilings. I was beyond excited to wake up, and watch the snow fall from their view.

Kade followed my gaze to the tree. He turned to his grandma with an eye roll. "I told you I didn't want any gifts."

Grandma Jacky rolled her eyes as she led us to the kitchen. "Oh, shut the hell up. Don't you ever try to tell me..." Her words became a blur as I entered the kitchen. The room was lined with Christmas decorations yet still elegant.

"It's so beautiful in here," I complimented as I examined the house.

She grinned, a hint of pride in her tone. "Thank you, darling. William had this built for me as soon as he was able." Her fingers grazed the tall plant that sat in the corner of the room.

I tilted my head before I recalled the name. It took a minute before it clicked. Kade's father.

I glanced over at Kade, whose expression had gone stone cold. I stepped closer, placing my hand on his forearm.

I let my hand fall from to his bicep, wrapping an arm around his waist. His rigid body slowly relaxed as he nodded at me.

Grandma Jacky took notice of his reaction and offered me a thankful smile. "Too bad he's a bastard now, though. Dumb bitch." With a chuckle, she motioned for us to follow her.

"He did give me Kade's hard-headed self, though," she muttered as she led us to another room. "I'll give the son of a bitch that."

I smiled at that, but I noticed the grief in her tone. For a dead grandson, and a son, who killed said grandson, and beat his family. A son who would be in prison for the rest of his life. I was sure it wasn't easy for her, no matter how much she tried to joke about it. Even though he was a monster, she was his mother. I was grateful that she didn't take that out on Kade.

"Oh!" Grandma Jacky clapped as she spun around. "My favorite room!"

Kade craned his neck to whisper in my ear, "It's because there's booze in it."