dead

Enjoy🤍!

"Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming of you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive." – Unknown

————————————————————

Chapter 78
<—————————————>

|Kimberly|

I think I'm dead. I have to be dead.

I'm dead.

I know it, I do.

But, I'm not willing to accept that yet. My memories felt blocked, nearly gone from existence, but I still felt that hope. It was tugging me toward reality. It was begging me to wake the hell up.

My surroundings were dark, far too dark to be natural. But, I heard it. Crying.

I stumbled around until the cries becomes louder. It should felt like a scene from a horror movie, but it was not that. There was almost a sense of calm the longer the sound wrapped me in its embrace.

I turned, though there was no point. I ran, yelled, everything to gain the attention of the cries. They continued, completely unfazed. I carried on anyway.

I could feel myself growing entirely too weak as I tried and tried to find my way back. To wake up. To be grateful. To live. But, I couldn't find it.

As I felt my courage beginning to fleet, my legs went right along with it. I allowed myself to collapse, to break before I tried, again.

Before I could, the cries stopped. They just...stopped.

The silence became deafening as I gazed into the nothingness around me. I squeezed my eyes shut, begging, willing someone for a sign. Anything.

I knew that my pleas were unheard, but it was worth the shot. When I opened my eyes, I gasped as I stared back into anothers.

A little boy.

His face was familiar. I couldn't place it right away, but I felt a sense of calmness and peace wash over me the longer I stared into those familiar eyes.

The boys black curls tickled at his brown eyes, and he wore a SpongeBob pajama set. His bright face examined me over before he offered a small hand. I took it with uncertainty, but what was the worst that could happen if I was already supposedly dead.

"Who..." I paused when he shushed me. With a small smile, he continued to walk until I saw it. It was far, yet so close. A light, a bright light that could mean freedom. Another chance.

I released the boy, nearly tripping as I ran toward it. It was right there, staring back at me with so many hopes and promises, my heart swelled.

My attention flickered back toward the boy, who wore a smile so large, he showcased a missing tooth. I gasped as it hit me.

"Thank you," was all he said before he turned and diminished into the black nothingness.

My eyes fluttered open.

I squinted into the light glaring right back at me. I went to shield my eyes from its harsh glare, but as soon as I attempted to, an ache too painful to be considered natural shot through me.

I was alive. I would clap for joy if I didn't think the pain would take me out.

I tried to glance around to my best ability, but that was all I could do. My eyes watered as the reality of the pain set in. Everything hurt.