monster

Enjoy!🤍

"Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open." —John Barrymore
———————————————————

Chapter 5
<——————————————->

It didn't take Ryland long to figure out I was angry. He had broken a promise to me, one that claimed that he would never drink, no matter the issue. My mother was the cause of our pact. We had created it when we were young, but that didn't mean that the promise no longer stood.

"Kimberly," he acknowledged his own presence.

I knew that he was a grown man, but that still didn't mean our promise had no meaning.

I continued to pack my bag for the day. Walking downstairs, I noticed my father with his elbows perched on our countertop.

I rushed to him as I noticed the pained expression he wore. "Dad, what's wrong?"

He waved me off, a smile stretching ear from ear. "Just a little bit of back pain, honey. I'll be alright."

I frowned once he attempted to stand, again. "I got this. Sit down."

"Thank you, darling," he smiled, seeping back into the chair.

I offered one of my own smiles, placing a plate of breakfast in front of him. My anger still remained evident for Ryland, but I couldn't prevent myself from placing a plate down in his spot.

"Where is your brother?" Dad questioned.

I shrugged. "I think he's still getting ready."

Dad rolled his eyes, calling out to him, "Ryland, get down here before you make both you and your sister late!"

My father winked at me as he noticed the growing laugh. After I served the food to the three of us, we discussed how yesterday went for the both of us. Instead of waiting for Ryland, I began to eat.

My father chuckled at me. "You're not gonna wait on your brother?"

I shrugged. "We both know by the time Ryland makes it down, the food will be cold."

My dad thought about it, his head tilting to the side. One of the many traits I had claimed from him.

He shrugged his shoulders as my words finally hit some type of sense. His hands reached for his fork before the conversation continued.

"So, Celeste told me that you were at the diner yesterday, huh?" he brought up.

I nodded my head, while drowning my pancake in maple syrup. "Mhm. They offered me a job, too."

I glanced up at him for a reaction. Halfway, I expected the same one my brother had, but then I realized, it was my dad I was talking about. He wouldn't purposefully hurt a fly.

His smile was one of the most radiating gifts of the world. "That's great, honey. Any excuse to get you from your room is fine with me," he told me, biting into his toast.

I rolled my eyes at him, even though he was right. Back at our old house, I'd never left my room unless forced to do so. I liked it that way, though. Secluded, and safe.