retaliation|part 3

Enjoy, guys 🤍 By the way, thank you so much for 38K reads, and for having me ranked in teen fiction for nearly two months now! I love & appreciate y'all so much!

"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."— Thomas Paine
———————————————————-

Chapter 38|Part 3
<——————————————->

I lowered the sunglasses over my eyes as the light began to blind me. My headache worsened, stomach twisting in both hangover blues, and nerves.

"Be polite, Kimberly," dad mumbled as he rearranged his suit. "Susie is a respected friend of mine, and none of us will disrespect her home."

I blinked at him several times. How in the hell did he know Susie? Then again, Susie did somehow have my fathers' number. I swear, everyone knew something I didn't and never decided to bring me to the mix. But, I decided to ask him about it once we got home. My mind could only handle so much right now.

I rubbed at my eyes, groaning as I felt the pounding set in every possible cresses of my head. "I'm always polite, dad."

"Mhm, is my tie alright?" he turned toward Teresa.

I struggled to disguise my eye roll. "Let's just get this over with, now."

I bit my lip as my eyes roamed over Kade's car. It was far from the others, distinct memories of our relationship lingering right with it. I blinked past the tears multiple times, lips parting to release a shaky patch of air.

I didn't want to see him, or be in any close proximity of his house. I knew that this get-together would be one of many awkward moments of the remaining year.

I had heard, and read many times that a hangover was one of the worst natural disasters a person could face. And, I found out that this was one of the most truthful things.

When I woke up, it felt like I was on the verge of death. For a moment, I thought that my head was smashed to pieces by a sledgehammer. With a dry throat, and a pair of queasy twists in my stomach, I suffered my first hangover. I didn't even want to think of what Raven and Maggie were going through; I knew Jax was celebrating being the responsible one last night.

I glued my feet into the ground as the front door of the house opened. My hands grew sweaty at the sight of Mrs. Ryder, who grinned right back at us.

I couldn't even find a valuable reason to why she invited us. Perhaps it was out of kindness, or of sympathy for her sons and I's broken relationship.

"Come in, come in!" I grimaced slightly at the pressure her hand held against my back, and her voice that sounded much louder than I liked.

The house was decorated with elegant ties, and drapes. I bit my lip at the sound of mixed voices in the kitchen. I couldn't help, but wonder if Kade was involved in the mix.

I hadn't even seen her grab my father, but they were in a tight hug. "It smells delicious, Susie," he hugged her back. "Thank you for inviting us."

Susie's face was warm, but that wasn't it. Her expression looked as if she were talking to a best friend. "Jackson, it's the least I could do, really. Goodness, I haven't seen you in forever. How has the move been?"

My dad held her by her forearms, smiling sweetly at her. "It's been just fine. Thank you for recommending the town and making it all so easy to adjust for us; the children and I have loved it," he responded.