run away

Thank you guys so much for having me rank in romance! We are also only 10K reads from 100,000, thanks to you all! 😭 I appreciate you guys so much. The chapter coming soon. Enjoy the chapter! 🤍

"Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the darkness of the soul." — Dave Pelzer

———————————————————

Chapter 46
<——————————————->

Raven's mother placed the two iced teas down. "If there's anything else I can get you two, I'm only a call away, girls."

I smiled at her as a thank you, watching as she exited to the upstairs to get some work done. This was the first time I'd seen her in a while.

I picked up the cold car glass, and took a sip before my friend's expression caught my eye. She looked as if she had seen a ghost.

I placed the glass down. "Babe?" I acknowledged. "Is everything okay?"

I frowned when she remained silent. My concern rose as I placed my hands on hers. "Raven."

As if my touch had been a hot iron, she swept her hand from under mine, her eyes wide. I jumped, too.

"I'm sorry," she squeezed. "I'm just..." her frustration ended the sentence for her.

"Raven," I called, scooting closer to her. "It's okay. You know that you can talk to me about anything."

Raven looked up at me, red hair framing her face. She shut her eyes once, before finally opening them with a sigh.

"I saw my dad," she said in the smallest of voices.

My lips pressed together. I figured it was either that, or Levi, but now I knew. "I'm sorry, Raven." My hand went to hers. "Did he speak to you?"

She shook her head, and I watched as she swallowed a lump of tears. "Levi took me out. My dad...he saw me. We met eyes, and everything. He looked me dead in my face, and went back to his other daughter. He was too busy with her, ordering her my favorite dessert and treating her to my favorite restaurant." I could tell there was more, but at the crack in her voice, I immediately soothed her from the distress.

"Come here," I moved closer, and pulled her in for a hug. "I'm so sorry, sweet girl." I laid my chin on her head, wrapping my arms around her.

She sunk right in, her cries increasing until it eventually stopped. I held on, coaxing her. It hurt so badly to watch her break, but there was nothing that I could do besides be here.

Minutes later, I heard her sniffle. "That's not the only thing," she added, her words muffled against my shoulder. "This week has been so crazy."

I looked down to her. "What else?"

"Levi...he showed me something," she whispered. "Something fucking crazy."

My eyebrow raised, and I held her at arms length to look in her eyes. "Like what exactly?"

Raven sighed, swiping at her eyes. "I can't tell you, and even if I do, you probably won't believe me."

"You're my best friend. If you believe in walking dolphins, then I guess I do too," I joked. "Try me."

Her eyes fell, another sniffle following before she raised her gaze. "You can't tell anyone. Not even Maggie or Jax, okay?"

I nodded.