sleep

Enjoy 🤍!

"But part of surviving is being able to move on."– Alexandra Bracken
————————————————————

Chapter 72
<—————————————>

"Take care of yourself, sweet girl," Grandma Jacky whispered into my ear as she hugged me. "And try to look after that imbecile of mine, too." She nodded toward her grandson, who was standing right beside us.

Kade took a step down, offering his hand out for me to take. I placed mine in his as he said, "You know I heard that, right?"

Her eyes squinted at him as she waved his words off. "Mhm...did I give the impression that I actually give a damn?" With her hands on her hips, she balanced a grin at him. "Silly me."

I laughed, picking my suitcase handles up. Kade took it right out of my hand as well as his own.

"Bye!" I waved, grinning at his grandmother, who did the same in return.

I would miss this place more than I liked to admit. It held no type of resemble to the life I had back in Washington or Illinois. If I could, I would stay here forever.

Even though the last two days were spent with so many games, baking, cursing, laughing and Kade, I still knew. I knew the end was coming. I would be right back where I started.

I sighed, watching over Kade as he put our suitcases in. It was nearing seven o'clock, and our plane leaves at nine. I barely got any sleep last night due to the fact that it would be over.

I didn't even realize he'd finished until I heard, "Kimberly?"

"Hey." His arm tugged me closer until we were chest to chest. Either one wrapped around my waist. "Talk to me, baby."

I drew out a sigh. "I really don't want to go back," I chuckled to try to lessen the overdramatics. I knew that we couldn't stay here forever, but the idea sounded too pleasing.

My mom was in that town. Probably still waiting until she could come and fuck everything up. As if she hadn't already done that a million times over.

Kade frowned, his eyes scanning over mine. He could read my mind, I was sure of it. Finally, he said, "We could run away."

The idea did make me smile, I give him that. "Where are you thinking?"

He leaned back into the car, pulling me until I was settled in between his legs. Either hand squeezed down on my waist. "New York first then Vegas. Europe. We can go to Hawaii. If you like it, we can vacation there after going, and staying in Ireland."

I laughed. "You've really been thinking about that, haven't you?"

His lips lifted at my laugh, soon shifting to a grin. "I have," he said around a chuckle. "I always do. I'm going to take you everywhere you wanna go."

I smiled back at him, leaning into his chest. If only. "Well...all of that sounds perfect."

"Just like you, sweetheart," he murmured against me, kissing the side of my head.

I felt his arms raise to wrap me in a hug. I fell into it willingly, breathing in his scent for relief.

Finally, he released me. "Come on, sweetheart. I don't want you to freeze." With a nod, I followed him to my side of the car.

The entire ride to the airport filled me with cool dread. I wanted it to be because of the flying, but it wasn't. Not this time. It was her.

Even though I tried to push the tight to the back of my head, she was still there. Looking. Waiting. Haunting me. After so many years, what could she want?