presentation

Thanks for 204K. I appreciate you guys so much. Enjoy the chapter! 🤍

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."—Helen Keller

———————————————————

Chapter 52
<——————————————->

The phone rung out for only a second before an automated voice spoke back to me. "Damn it."

I gripped the counter with one hand while keeping a hold on the phone, as if it would make her answer.

I had called Maggie more than four times now, but to no avail. As the week carried on, I was beginning to understand bits and pieces as to where she was coming from. Perhaps I could have been better with my words when explaining my point.

Either way, I didn't want to fight with her, too. Raven and I were already not talking, this wouldn't help things in fixing that.

"Who are you talking to?" I turned around to Ryland, who was rubbing his tired eyes.

He was shirtless, so when he reached above my head to grab the cereal, I cringed. "No one."

Rolling his eyes, he shut the cabinets after grabbing himself a bowl. "Whatever."

I sat down at the far end of the table, concentrated on the warm pancakes in front of me. I felt my brothers' eyes on me, but purposefully ignored them.

Soon, I heard the sound of his spoon clashing with the table. "You know, you can't stay mad at me for forever, right?"

"Mhm," was all I said as I cut into the pancake.

I heard him sigh. "Look, I'm sorry, Kimberly," he apologized. "I mean it."

I wanted to ask if he even knew what he was apologizing for, but did otherwise. Instead, I responded by taking another bite.

"I never meant to hurt you. I was just stressed with everything. Dad's health, school, work..." he sighed, eyes dropping low. "It all gets really hard sometimes."

I pursed my lips, finally making eye contact with him. His green eyes were already on me. I sighed as I saw the sincerity in his eyes.

"You're sorry?" I repeated.

"I promise I am."

I nibbled on my lip before saying, "You said a lot of things, you know that, right?"

He nodded, the guilty expression spreading. "They weren't true, Kimberly. Not at all. I just wanted to make you hurt as badly as you did me, and I went too far."

I swallowed as I recalled that night. "You said that our dad didn't want me. That my mother didn't want me."

"I know, and I'm so sorry," he said, his voice falling. "Dad wants you, he always has. And, I have too. I've loved you since the moment dad brought you home, Kimberly."

My eyes fell to the syrup. Before I could come up with anything else, Ryland started up again.

"When mom came back, I know that I started treating you differently and I'm sorry about it. It's just...I wanted her back so bad, that I was an idiot and stupidly forgot you, who has been here the entire time," he told me in a sorrowful voice. "And, it was so fucking stupid of me."

I sighed as I stared into his eyes. They were telling me the same story: that he was really short.

"I understand, Ryland," I murmured.