angel

Enjoy🤍!

"I love you and I don't want to lose you. Because my life has been better since the day I found out." – Unknown

————————————————————

Chapter 77
<—————————————>

|Kade|

I rejected the call, slipping it back into my pocket. I knew he wanted to talk about Chivo, but the truck-stop shut down at nine. Ever since Kimberly tried the food she demanded it every single time I came home, or brought her with me to the cages. I didn't want to face her if I forgot it.

I stepped out of my car, but paused when I felt the vibration, again. With a scowl, I rejected the call. I didn't want to talk about shit I already knew.

His name popped back up in a matter of seconds. The agitation tapped at my bones as I glanced toward the food truck, then the time. I had to make this call quick.

The moment I accepted, I put it on speaker. "What?" I snapped. "I'm going to kill you if this shit isn't important, I'm busy." I scowled as if he could see me, but I was sure my tone got my frustration across just fine.

"Kade," Luke said slowly.

I'd been friends with the man for years. I knew things I didn't even want to know. I could hear his tone just fine, and just by that, I could tell he was worried. Nervous. Something that was entirely unlike him. Unless.

Worry flooded my gut as I clicked the phone off speaker. Pressing it to my ear, I said, "What is it? Is your mom—"

"Kade, I need you to listen to me," he said my name again in a way that made me freeze.

Involuntarily, I felt the pit in my stomach sink deeper. Something was wrong.

"What the fuck is it, man?" I was getting annoyed at the dramatics. "Quit being a pussy, and just spit it out." I thought it was his mother, but there was no way it was.

"I know how you are, but I need you to not be a fucking idiot and use your head for once," he said cautiously. "I need you to drive straight to the hospital. The one my mom's in. Don't ask me shit, just do it."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Luke," I said slowly. "The fuck is going on?"

I turned around to head back to my car. The food would have to wait.

I heard him mutter a curse. "I don't want you to drive with—"

Oh, fuck this. "Luke," I snapped into the phone. My patience was long gone now. "Quit with this subliminal bullshit."

I heard him speaking, but it was muffled so it wasn't to me. "It's Kimberly," he rushed out as soon as I slammed the door.

I froze at that.

My blood ran so cold, I was sure I had goosebumps to top my skin. The car roared to life under me.

I had to will myself to speak, "What?"

"Kade—"

"Were you fucking with her, again?"