cry baby

Enjoy beautiful people! 🤍

"The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves." —John Connor 'Terminator Series'
———————————————————

Chapter 2
<——————————————->

My eyes opened in their own at the harsh sunlight. I squinted in frustration, before groggily raising myself to the headboard.

It felt as if I'd blinked, and all of the memories from yesterday came in like a wrecking ball. When I woke, I only had on average thirty seconds of peace before the chaos in my head rang free.

I pinched myself several times to clarify that I was actually awake. I sighed at the pain. It was true, and it was real. Kade had my diary, the one thing that best separated my emotions from reality.

I didn't know if he had even read through it yet, but if so, then I could only pray that he didn't share the things in that book. Either way, it all made my stomach turn.

My father's head popped through the opened crack of my door. "Breakfast is ready, honey."

I nodded my head, smiling at him. "I'll be out there in a second." I swung my legs over the bed, and hurried off to the bathroom.

After showering and dressing, I checked myself out in the mirror. I don't even know why I did this anymore, due to the fact that nothing ever changes.

Brown, bland eyes, fair skin, and a lightly crooked nose stared back at me in the reflection. My brown hair was still in the low ponytail from last night, and my weight and height obviously hadn't dropped.

Yep, same old, same old.

As I walked down the hallway to the kitchen, I hurried my steps at the scent of pancakes. My favorite type of breakfast, despite it being a forgiving tactic. Since my dad and brother felt guilty for the move, both of them had been extra nice lately.

I didn't blame them though; I had no reason to. Nothing in Illinois awaited me except an abusive mother, and even worse stepbrothers. The move was the best option for all of us, especially after all of the court dates. 

Ryland, my twenty-one year old brother, was speaking to my dad about god knows what. I rounded the corner just as he looked up. When his eyes met mine, he grinned.

"Finally, the princess awakens," he expressed in a dramatic manner.

I rolled my eyes at him, but struggled to fight the small smile tugging at my lips. "Good morning to you too, Ryland."

Ryland was my half-brother, but that never truly made a difference in our relationship. Until four years ago, we'd been around each other maybe three or four times. Though, once our dad moved me into his house, we'd been close ever since.

We barely looked alike, but dad always claimed we did think alike. His shoulder-length, dirty-blonde hair curled at the nape of his tanned neck, and around his ears. His green eyes often reminded me of the beautiful gift of Mother nature. Since he often worked out, his physical fitness was impressive. With the personality of an angel, and a handsome face, my brother really was a hit with the ladies.

He was annoying to me, though.

Ryland and I had the same father, just not the same mother. He was only four years older, but this didn't strain our care for one another too much. Since we moved, he was either at his college classes or at work, so we hadn't been together too much these past few months. But, even if we didn't hang out as much as we would like to, I knew that he was still the brother I always loved, and my genuine only resemblance of a friend.